Thread: Doors off

Doors off

Any especial gotchas to be aware of when removing/flying with the doors off on a Falcon?

Doors off

Leia I was told I could fly the hawk doors off but had to keep airspeed down below 70mph currently cruise around 90 so a fair drop in cruise weather never been good enough to have a go so far this year
    cheers
    William

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Doors off

Leia Fee wrote: Any especial gotchas to be aware of when removing/flying with the doors off on a Falcon?
    Apart from not dropping stuff over the side and making sure there's nothing to flap about in the draft you mean? No. Go for it, its great fun.

Doors off

I have a 912 Falcon and have flown with the doors of quite a bit last summer.
    The main thing is fuel burn is higher and it is surprisingly cold, even in summer. I arrived back one day shivering even in summer.
    I bought an all in one insulated suit which solved the heat problem.
    This year I have fitted some sliding dv windows to the door which makes it cool enough in summer so I haven't needed to fly doors off.
    Make sure you don't drop anything overboard. I always have everything tied down anyway as a bit of turbulence could see a heavy flight bag opening the door for you.
    The view is very strange not having any perspex between you and the ground so its certainly fun flying. Best done for short local bimbles on a summer evening.

Doors off

Welcome to the world of flex wing flying warm suit and nothing between you and mother nature
    I still have my flying suits and pictures are far better with no lexan in between so might be tempted lol

Banned Banned500 Club

Doors off

William Russell wrote: Welcome to the world of flex wing flying warm suit and nothing between you and mother nature
    I still have my flying suits and pictures are far better with no lexan in between so might be tempted lol
    or to the world of open three axis flying with no goldfish bowl; with three axis you have the choice :-)

AX-series and Thrusters are also good for this - or SSDR Phantom, Spectrum or if you prefer a pusher prop, Pathfinder. There's even the Sherwood Ranger or Renegade Spirit for that biplane feel.

Joan

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Doors off

I rather liked the comment from an American Ultralight pilot about temps. "On a hot day I fly up untill I'm comfortable and stay there".
    We have found with a T600 that doors off adds about a litre an hour to fuel consumption, but the harder you push it the added fuel consuption rises
    The view is fantastic, no lexan, no visor and with the TST just enough screen to keep most of the prop blast out of your face.

Jon Webb wrote: Much Clipped
    I have a 912 Falcon and have flown with the doors of quite a bit last summer.
    The main thing is fuel burn is higher and it is surprisingly cold, even in summer. I arrived back one day shivering even in summer.
    I bought an all in one insulated suit which solved the heat problem.
    The view is very strange not having any perspex between you and the ground so its certainly fun flying. Best done for short local bimbles on a summer evening.