Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly-UK 2016

bssmy

Fly-UK 2016

Should you need a new mounting bracket. Stuart Baker at Sutton Meadows has them as a few years ago this was a common fault and he has spares.
    I had my DCIs fail on late Friday afternoon when trying to depart for the Fly UK at Sittles. My thanks to Gary Masters 'Airmasters' who loaned me a pair of DCI,s to fit at no charge which enabled me to join the Fly UK tour on the Tuesday. I posted my unserviceable DCI's to Carmo in Holland on the Monday had confirmation that the repair had been completed last Friday and am awaiting delivery tomorrow of the repaired items. Hit the pound at the bottom of the market last Friday but still less than 400.00 all in which is far better than the 1k plus from Rotax. Also thanks to Paul Dewhurst who was the only one to respond to my request for assistance to locate DCIs on a Friday night and suggested Airmasters. Met some great guys and managed to keep in the good weather- Thanks Tom.

Bryan

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Fly-UK 2016

Dom,

The coil plate has three small spacers, one per corner, and each has a socket cap screw to hold the corner to the front of the cylinder. The fourth corner is bolted to an aluminium bracket that goes round to the top of the disc valve cover. All three of the directly bolted corners vibrated themselves apart, leaving only the bracketed one still attached. The earth wire on the left hand coil was attached to the top left corner, and when that gave way, it severed the wire. So the engine dropped to one cylinder.

I've got a complete spare plate, and I'll have to fit it sometime soon, but at the moment I've had to send the sail off to Top Flight Sails, as I managed to tear it during rigging when I got it back to LC. The tear is under the centre section, and goes back from the hole in the fabric where the lower rear flying wires attach to their bracket on the keel. I managed to tear the fabric by trying to tension the wing with a slightly bent mini carabiner, that didn't close properly. The small opening in the carabiner caught on the edge of the fabric, and when I gave it a mighty tug, it ripped almost a foot into the fabric, in a more or less straight line.

Nigel at Top Flight is going to give the sail a good once over, and I've asked him to make sure all the stitching and patches are in good condition. He's got other work on at the moment, so I don't expect it to be done for at least a fortnight, but that gives me plenty of time to get the trike up together again. I must admit I haven't had much time to do anything to it so far, as I've got family commitments and my car needs work for its MOT, which is due this month. However, I expect to have it all back together and flying by sometime in August, when hopefully the strong winds will have died down a little.

I must say I found Fly_UK hard work on the upper body and arms, with quite a lot of turbulence to deal with, and lots of rotor from the high ground I had to fly around up north. In fact my shoulders are still aching from the exertion, and if I do this again next year I'll make sure I train for it first.

I've now uploaded a couple of pictures of the damage to the wing. It serves me right for using a tool that wasn't up to the job. Needless to say I've bought some new carabiners now, and I'll make sure that when I use one it's definitely closed before I start pulling on the tensioner!

Best regards,

Attached files

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Fly-UK 2016

Bryan,

Thanks for the information, I'll probably contact Stuart to see if he's still got any spares, as you can never have too many spares of something so vital.

Best regards,

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Fly-UK 2016

Hello again all,

Further to my posts above about how my plane stopped working. I'd like to tell you all about an incident that took place on the Tuesday of Fly-UK. I was at East Fortune, and decided to try to get to Strathaven, in an attempt to catch up with the others who'd already done the northern circuit and were on their way back down south. So I set off from East Fortune, to route through the Edinburgh zone and avoid the high ground to the south of the city. With this in mind I called Edinburgh before leaving, and also called them again once in the air. They told me to route via Dalkeith and Hill End, then Kirknewton and Latch Farm before heading out of their zone to the west. So I called at Dalkeith, then at Hill End, where I encountered strong turbulence and rotor, but my plane tried to twist itself apart while I was over Kirknewton RAF base (The A frame turned right and the pod turned left at the same time!), so I decided to get away from that particular bit of airspace as quickly as possible. By this time my arms were getting very tired as it had taken me an hour to get this far, against the strong south westerly winds, as well as the high levels of turbulence and rotor.

I told Edinburgh I was going to land at Latch Farm, as I'd originally thought to do a low pass over it, or possibly land for a rest if I saw any cars there. As it turned out, with my arms getting very tired and me being somewhat nervous after my plane did its twisting manoeuvre over Kirknewton, I decided to land, so I let Edinburgh know my intentions and headed off towards it. There is a line of trees along the southern (windward) side of the runway, and although I tried to land long to avoid the worst of it, nevertheless I got rotored in somewhat untidily when I tried to land. The plane bounced on one rear wheel, then the other one, then suddenly seemed to move off to the left of its own accord (rotor I guess!) and I ended up in thick thistles to the left of the runway.

I managed to taxi out by using a lot of power, and then got my plane up to the concrete apron outside the hangar there, whereupon I parked the plane and tried to calm down a bit.

For those of you who don't know, it's where Peter Kelsey is based, and within minutes of me arriving, so did he. I hadn't made any arrangements to meet him, so it was pure coincidence that he was there, but I'm very glad he was. He'd come to East Fortune the previous evening and taken myself and Dave Karnovich over to North Berwick so that we could get something to eat. He'd then driven miles around the area looking for a garage so that Dave could get some petrol for his flight the following day. The search was unsuccessful and Peter had finally dropped us back at East Fortune just before midnight, which must have cost him at least a bob or two in petrol, not to mention the wasted time.

Anyway, when Peter had picked us up he'd mentioned that he was based at Latch Farm, and said that if I was heading west I should fly over it so that I could see where he kept his plane. So I decided I'd try to do a pass of the field on my journey to Strathaven. Hence my being there and choosing to land due to increasing fatigue.

Peter arrived, found me there, and then quickly helped me check the plane over, unload it, and hobble it between the hangar and his trailer that he's got his Dynamic parked in. With me still a bit shaky, he took me into Edinburgh to find somewhere to sit down with a cup of coffee, and at this point he, then I, received a phone call from someone else who's also based at Latch Farm. Apparently the other bloke is the person who is listed as being the airfield operator, so Edinburgh contacted him to find out if I'd landed OK. They'd expected me to let them know when I landed, but due to the difficult landing and subsequent unloading and tying down, I'd completely forgotten all about them. Needless to say the bloke who phoned me wasn't impressed by my lack of airmanship, and I had to apologise profusely for forgetting. However, I then contacted Edinburgh myself and told them that although I'd landed a bit hard in my plane, there was no damage to either the plane or myself.

The lady I spoke to said she'd pass on my message and that all was well.

With Peter's help I was quickly booked into a B+B, and after we went for some lunch he took me all the way to the B+B like a personal taxi service. The afternoon and evening soon went, and I slept the sleep of the very tired. The next morning Peter arrived and collected me, then took me back out to the airfield, where he helped me rerig the plane and reload it ready for the off. Due to the strong south westerly winds I'd decided to return to East Fortune, so I rang up Edinburgh and told them this. They asked me to report as soon as airborne and this I did. There then followed half an hour of relentless battering as I was quickly returned to the airfield I'd spent an hour getting to Latch Farm from the previous day.

After landing at East Fortune, Peter rang up to make sure I was safely down once more, and soon after that I received a phone call from the AAIB at Aldershot. The lady asked what damage my plane had sustained during the hard landing the previous day. I told there wasn't any damage as 'hard landing' just meant I'd bounced instead of the usual smooth joining with the earth that I normally managed. She said she'd tell the duty officer and see if he wanted to do any further investigation. A little while later she phoned again and told me that the duty officer had decided not to pursue it any further, and that I was now free to move the plane.

I was a bit non-plussed by this as I'd already flown it 30 miles back from Latch Farm to East Fortune by the time she'd called me the first time, but I suppose it just goes to show that we have to be very careful how we describe our landings in case they are misinterpreted by the people in the heavy plane world. In future I won't describe any landing as being a 'hard landing' unless I've broken the suspension because that's obviously what they thought I'd done to my flexwing.

Anyway, I'd like to express my thanks and extreme gratitude for all that Peter Kelsey did for me during my time in Scotland. Without his unstinting help I'd have been in a bit of a mess, to put it mildly, and I'd like you all to know that although he's often vilified on this forum and others, nevertheless, in the flesh he proved to be a very good friend in my time of need. My guess is that if anyone else had been in my predicament he'd have helped them just as much as he put himself out for me, and I can't thank him, or praise him highly enough for helping a fellow aviator through a distinctly uncomfortable time.

I've uploaded a couple of pictures of the thistles that acted as a very good ground brake when I landed at Latch Farm. I've also added a couple of photos from when the plane was at East Fortune.

Best regards,

Attached files

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12