Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a Chaser II

not real name 100 Club

Just bought a Chaser II

Loosing will to live - Yahoo Chaser Group once again foiled my attempt to successfully post (actually managed to join [again])!!!!

So please, if anyone has removed the strap in favor of spanning between the rear wheels direct (like xl etc) I would love to have some info.

Regards

Just bought a Chaser II

Not sure anyone has ever tried this Paul. One good reason is that the horizontal wires create tremendous drag on longish grass (worse with a Chaser's small wheels that bring it closer to the ground). That's why other trikes with those wires usually have a length of plastic pipe around the first cable (it rotates and eases the drag). I've replaced the now quite ratty strap on my Chaser with a turnbuckle and fabricated stainless brackets and a loop. (Have left the loop in place as well though.)
    Dave

not real name 100 Club

Just bought a Chaser II

Dave,
    Thanks for reply - I have Pegasus 6" wheels on my chaser so drag on grass would be no greater than an XL etc (for which I have operated without problems on grass).
    I think I have seen your turnbuckles and stainless brackets but think I would prefer to loose the pulled up transverse cables totally.

Just bought a Chaser II

having the cross wires pulled up and held by the fabric strap would also add to the suspension (landing/taxiing loads reacted by the fabric strap) which would be lost if the wires went straight across.

not real name 100 Club

Just bought a Chaser II

Rich,
    I put that exact point to Paul Dewhurst and was told quite 'firmly' that the strap is not any sort of suspension unit - it is in fact a 'strut'.

Of course as a strut it could be replaced with a cable. Or indeed removed and replaced with spanning wires.

Just bought a Chaser II

Paul may be correct in that it is not a suspension unit (by design), but it will have some elasticity that will react with landing and taxiing loads. My point I believe remains true.
    Rich

not real name 100 Club

Just bought a Chaser II

Rich,
    I am also of that opinion (either by design or accident) the strap can (and therefore does) expand on anything but the smoothest of landings! therein, however, is the problem.
    On expansion the side wires go slack which not only allows the trike to rock but also 'frees up' the wheels to rotate about a center other than the axle. This of course gives rise to snaking and general unsteadiness just after landing (until the strap applies itself again). I now accept this 'quirk' as an 'interesting' aspect of Chaser ownership (which only major redesign may overcome - but still feel that there is some 'mileage' left in tighter side wires [accepting maximum wheel base limitation as recently identified on Yahoo posts]).

My suggestion of spanning cables (wheel to wheel) was a possible route to overcome the issue (and as my second Chaser is at a stage whereby this change could be applied - hence the post query).

I am, however, coming to conclude that perhaps the Chaser 'trike' has 'run its course' and that I should 'start from scratch'.

Just bought a Chaser II

Maybe its just me, but the phenomenon you describe has never been an issue for me and I may have demonstrated some firm landings in my time!

not real name 100 Club

Just bought a Chaser II

Then I'll put it down to being a fat bast..d, however, thanks for your observations!

not real name 100 Club

Just bought a Chaser II

White Chaser (folding monopole) almost ready ready for flight - Red and White picture just for comparison!

Attached files

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast