Thread: Lubrication on Rotax 582

MosheRudko

Lubrication on Rotax 582

Hi,
    I use the rotax 582 (gray head) lubrication system and recently replaced the throttle’s cable with a splitter. Then I had to align both marks on the arm and on the housing at 3,000RPM. This alignment gave me less than .5% mixture ratio. So I had to readjust it to gain the 2% but once it was achieved I found the two marks in an opposite and distance deviation comparing to the rotax documentation.
    Wish to have your reference whether it can damage something else in the engine. It is clear that the oil goes to the engine with the right lubrication ratio.
    The thottle range is ok.
    Thanks. Moshe

Attached files

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Lubrication on Rotax 582

Moshe Rudko wrote: Hi,
    I use the rotax 582 (gray head) lubrication system and recently replaced the throttle’s cable with a splitter. Then I had to align both marks on the arm and on the housing at 3,000RPM. This alignment gave me less than .5% mixture ratio. So I had to readjust it to gain the 2% but once it was achieved I found the two marks in an opposite and distance deviation comparing to the rotax documentation.
    Wish to have your reference whether it can damage something else in the engine. It is clear that the oil goes to the engine with the right lubrication ratio.
    The thottle range is ok.
    My understanding of oil injection is that it does not deliver 2% or a fixed ratio over the whole engine rev range.

At idle some 2 strokes can run on fuelil mixtures of 70:1 to 100:1, Yamaha found that for full load at maximum RPM a ratio closer to 32:1 was best.

Worth having a look on Internet or looking at the theory section of a Rotax manual, if it exists...

Some info here:

The Pros and Cons of Oil Injection

UK is very, very pro premix, I think. I'm not.....

MosheRudko

Lubrication on Rotax 582

Thanks Steve,
    So rotax states that up to 3,000rpm the mixtures should be 70:1 and 50:1 (2%) beyond. Back to the marks alignment, Assuming I warmed up the engine for about 5 minutes and then flew 60. Then checked the mixtures ratio which stands for 2%. Well, this is by their books … . I just wonder if the regulating arm on the lubrication injection system positioned far of rotax instruction has any faulty influence on this scheme or may damage the engine.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Lubrication on Rotax 582

Moshe Rudko wrote: Thanks Steve,
    So rotax states that up to 3,000rpm the mixtures should be 70:1 and 50:1 (2%) beyond. Back to the marks alignment, Assuming I warmed up the engine for about 5 minutes and then flew 60. Then checked the mixtures ratio which stands for 2%. Well, this is by their books … . I just wonder if the regulating arm on the lubrication injection system positioned far of rotax instruction has any faulty influence on this scheme or may damage the engine.
    Maybe download the Rotax (heavy) maintenance manual, if it exists, on this engine and do some more checks on the engine?

The first time the engine is run after it's changed from premix to oil injection I think (I'm not sure) it need to still have 100:1 premix just in case.

I've now got to the limit of my two stroke knowledge, I'm afraid...