Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skydemon

Member Settling in

Skydemon

Panel mount or knee pad.
    Which is most favoured and if panel mount, which mount is best.
    Just switched to Skydemon after using AvMap EKP4, hence the question.
    By the way the AvMap is for sale complete with new screen and data update in June 2015.
    Regards
    Steady

Skydemon

For me knee mount as with the SkyRanger there is no stick to interfere between the legs. I have tried a few mounting options but none have worked as easily and effectively as knee mount. easy to read, no clutter on dashboard and most importantly, no dismantling to take home at the end of day. I use a leather folding knee mount that allows all my notes and radio frequencies etc to be printed off and clipped to left side of folder along with a pen clip.
    Adrian.

Member Settling in

Skydemon

Hi Adrian
    What is the make of the knee pad you use and where can it be purchased?
    The problem then is what do I fill the hole in the dash with instead of an I pad mount!
    Regards
    steady

Skydemon

Hi Eddy, It is made by ASA can't remember dealer but I got it at The Flying show a few years back so probably Transair or similar. I had an AvMap but never installed it, it was rubbish compared to Sky Demon. Sorry no suggestions re the hole left behind other than a blanking plate.

Member Settling in

Skydemon

Thanks Adrian
    Steady

not real name 500 Club

Skydemon

see attached

Attached files

not real name 500 Club

Skydemon

at 5.5k

Attached files

Skydemon

Dominic Connolly wrote: see attached
    Did you have to cut off part of the brake lever or does the lever clear the Ipad and the Ram mount on full forward stick?

Rick

Skydemon

i'm surprised that Dominic hasn't replied to this question as he is usually responds on here. Maybe he has missed the post.

The reason for my asking is that I am aware of an inspector having queried an owner's proposal to saw off part of the brake lever (to avoid it colliding with something on the panel like an Ipad). His point was that the brake lever is part of the control structure and I suppose interfering with it increases the chances of the hand slipping off at a critical moment. In his view it would have needed a mod approval. My understanding is that the owner did not modify the brake lever.

Rick

Member Settling in

Skydemon

I pad 2 mounting unit won't fit panel of SKR but I pad mini will.
    I am just a bit wary that the mini will be much more difficult to see.
    Experimenting with a knee pad at the moment and it is quite adequate, but as I was used to a panel mounted GPS,it all feels a bit strange.
    However it saves me a couple of hundred quid as I would need to buy a mini I pad.
    I may fit a little parcel shelf in the space vacated by the orginal unit, which would be a very useful
    piece of kit as there is very little storage space in a SKR.
    Regards
    Steady

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast