Thread: Hydraulic Brakes

Hydraulic Brakes

So on landing today, needed to dab the brakes on run out. Nothing! Checked out afterwards, and no leaks at the foot pedal or wheel ends, however inside the trike keel at the back is wet with fluid. No apparent leak on the T-joint. No tools to take things apart, so no further investigation possible today.

How likely is it the line would have ruptured somewhere inside the keel? You would have thought nylon tube was pretty robust, but I suppose there are plenty of nut & bolts to snag on. Anywhere else it could have failed?

How tricky is this going to be to fix? Any tips? Are parts only from P&M or is there another source?

not real name 100 Club

Hydraulic Brakes

Paul,
    Take a closer look at the "t" joint again. You may find that it has actually got a hairline split in it where the tapered part on the end of the hose has been done up too tight. This crack only opens up with the tapered part screwed in, once it's undone it's very difficult to see. This has happened on another aircraft.
    Regards Dom

Hydraulic Brakes

Thanks Dom

Any idea what size tube/fittings P&M use? I can't find anything relevant in the aircraft manual or the parts list (which shows the length of tubing required, but not its diameter).

I was thinking of push-fit connectors (which can't be over tightened), and was pointed towards http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co...tors-168-c.asp

not real name 100 Club

Hydraulic Brakes

Sorry Paul, I don't have that information, I just phoned them and asked for a new "T" piece. Because the aircraft in question was almost new a replacement was sent free of charge, so many thanks to P&M for that. The cost of new was minimal anyway so I don't know if it would be worth swapping (potentially this is a mod that would need approval with the associated cost and paperwork). If it is the t piece it would be worth letting them (P&M) know.