Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Exhaust Gas Temps

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Exhaust Gas Temps

PM sent Mick.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Exhaust Gas Temps

Hi Wally...I ordered a seperate EGT type like the type we use...with the hose type clamp...it did go upto 600c when I put the sensor in a blowtorch burner for a few sec a few nights ago...so it will read higher...as you say...maybe I need to alter its mount to go deeper.

Odd though...it was neck and neck at 300c.

Nick.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Exhaust Gas Temps

I believe that it is generally accepted that the exhaust gas flow tends to have a temperature gradient in the "pipe" and slower, and of lower temperature, at the outside of the gas "column" (i.e closer to the pipe) being more pronounced at higher revs where I guess surface friction has a greater effect but I am surprised that even if the sensor was actually mounted on the "pipe" it would "stop" at 300C.
    However, exhaust gas flow, particularly in a 2 stroke with "tuned exhaust", even if only mildly tuned as in the Rotax, obeys the rules of a "black art":-).

Senior Member 500 Club

Exhaust Gas Temps

Nick,

BTW. Your post at 10.24 this morning says the probes are 400 mm from the piston ?

Shurely shome mistake ? As that's roughly 16 inches.

[On their 912 4 strokes Rotax ask for 100 mm = 4"].

FWIW. When my 447 was running EGT read 1250 F = 675 C. But as someone has pointed out, it's all relative when using such devices.

mike hallam.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Exhaust Gas Temps

Good point.. I missed that...
    400mm from piston... presumably the skirt which from memory is approx 60mm from the flange?

400mmm would equate to approx 4 times the "correct" distance.. so "anything could be correct":-)

For the 503 and 582
    Quote from Statomaster.

"The EGT probes are placed 38 mm (1 1/5 inches) from the engine exhaust port. Threaded bosses
    are normally welded to the exhaust for use with M8 x 1 thread EGT probes. Otherwize, holes are
    drilled and clamp-type EGT's are installed. "

Attached files

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Exhaust Gas Temps

Sorry...of course I should have said 100mm 4"

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Exhaust Gas Temps

Wally took the hose clamp off the egt sensor...sits well inside the manifold now...agrees with the trikes own Westech gauge...well indicates 25c less but I somehow think the digital version is more accurate....must have not been sitting in the main flame path enough.

Handy bit of test kit.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Exhaust Gas Temps

Interesting... seems to "prove" that the gas had a higher temperature gradient than I thought....
    The Westach is calibrated with a cold junction temperature of 24 degC and I believe quoted accuracy is +- 2% FSD.
    The digi meter is +-1% (+-1 digit) and may well include cold junction compensation.
    So both readings could be well within their respective tolerances of the "actual" temperature. "yer pays yer money and makes yer choice":-)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567