Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SSDR and the BMAA

Diamond geezer 500 Club

SSDR and the BMAA

Rick,

My opinions are not generally and rightfully respected, but that has never stopped me from proffering them on here. :-) I agree that insurance can play a role attracting SSDR pilots to the BMAA.

Unfortunately, however much effort the BMAA puts into seeking favourable terms with brokers, it will not be able to negotiate a scheme that is attractive to all members. As has been mentioned, the numbers involved and reluctance to split third party from hull insurance are the main obstacles to a good deal.

In my view, the solution is the UK equivalent of UFEGA, the alliance of FFPLUM (microlights, paramotors and autogyros) FFVL (hang gilidng and paragliding), FFVV (gliding), RSA (vintage and homebuilt aircraft) FFG (helicopters) to manage the insurance requirements of their combined membership, which now numbers in excess of 63000.

All third party and pilot/passenger accident cover is bought through the different associations, which means that insurance firms wishing to participate in the sport aviation market must be prepared to sell hull insurance on its own.

UFEGA was set up when the EC implemented mandatory third party insurance and there was a lot of demand from pilots who had not previously bought cover. We missed that opportunity, but it is not too late to make an attempt to form a similar alliance here. It will be like herding cats and probably take years, but the alternative is to continue paying higher than necessary insurance premiums.

not real name, Please Contact Admin Settling in

SSDR and the BMAA

Kev Armstrong wrote: as the class is permit - free and utterly unable to ground you for airworthiness transgressions
    Slightly off-topic but my understanding is that this isn't quite true. While there's no design or manufacturing authority certification, you the pilot are responsible for ensuring that it fits within the single-seat microlight class, and also (presumably) within the Section S rules. No, the BMAA isn't able to exert any pressure there, but those airworthiness rules remain anyway.

Edit: I've been corrected, so I've updated my post to match.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

SSDR and the BMAA

Obviously correct that an SSDR machine does not need to comply with Section S, nor any other formal procedure and YOU the registered owner are 100% responsible for it's airworthiness........(interesting point where a syndicate owns it presumably all members are responsible?)...........great freedom.............. BUT with such freedom comes the potential "burden of proof" specter!!.

My Shadow has been declared under the SSDR category and now incorporates a number of changes......... in the event that something fails causing a 3rd party fatality, for example, I and I alone must be prepared to justify any changes I have made.................. I am now the "Design and Approval Authority".
    In such a case, membership of the BMAA or other such organisation will be meaningless (correctly so)

I am not convinced that insurance companies, although covering my Shadow as an SSDR machine will "cough up" as easily as with a Permit machine.
    Interesting to see the results when (God forbid) there is a "test case"

SSDR and the BMAA

Wally Hayward wrote: .................................................. .................
    I am not convinced that insurance companies, although covering my Shadow as an SSDR machine will "cough up" as easily as with a Permit machine.
    Interesting to see the results when (God forbid) there is a "test case"
    I am probably one of the few people in the UK to have written off an SSDR (SD1 Minisport G-CIMA). This happened on 24 May 2015.

The claim (over 20,000) was settled within fourteen days. No visit was necessary from the loss assessor - photographic evidence sufficed.

A first class service from Crispin Speers. Also very happy to insure my replacement SD1 G-CIZA which arrived a few days ago from the Czech Republic.

Senior Member 500 Club

SSDR and the BMAA

RWG wrote: "I am probably one of the few people in the UK to have written off an SSDR"
    There were lots crashed and written off before regulation Rick but I suppose they could be called BRSS (before regulation single seaters) rather than deregulated single seaters making you at least one of the few of the modern crashers. Glad you weren't hurt by the way.
    Geoff

SSDR and the BMAA

Hi Rick. Yes, I did give the idea due consideration. In fact, I believed, and would have supported a division of administration between 'low end' (what I would call 'true') microlights and superships some years ago, if only because it might have resulted in a BCAR Section S 'Lite'. The SSDR implementation has answered my prayers, even if it currently excludes two-seaters (and probably always will), so I'm now fully behind the BMAA as an umbrella organisation and wouldn't like anything to compromise it.

It was a statement of fact that I see your suggestion as divisive. I don't believe it constitutes a personal slight. I openly admit to prejudice where you're concerned - perhaps it's me. But I don't believe I was rude to you. If I was, please accept my apologies.

Gentle breezes,
    Dave

Banned Banned500 Club

SSDR and the BMAA

I believe there still remains a legal requirement from elsewhere in air law to maintain an airframe and an engine logbook for an SSDR microlight, and it still remains a requirement to register it, and as we found out on another thread, to display the registration marks in accordance with CAPxyz.

So oodles of bureaucracy remains to rail against :-)

SSDR and the BMAA

surely leaving the SSDR feather solely in the BMAA cap can only strengthen the attraction of the BMAA, not necessarily for permits of course but for the help/advice of an organisation who is microlight and SSDR savvy..

Diamond geezer 500 Club

SSDR and the BMAA

Richard Goddin wrote:

I am probably one of the few people in the UK to have written off an SSDR (SD1 Minisport G-CIMA). This happened on 24 May 2015.

The claim (over 20,000) was settled within fourteen days. No visit was necessary from the loss assessor - photographic evidence sufficed.
    Rick,

They only paid up without visiting the scene or checking the wreckage because of your credibility. No one would doubt for a moment that you could write off an aircraft while doing everything by the book. :-)

SSDR and the BMAA

Just to turn this on its head, operators of permit aircraft might be feeling the BMAA are doing them a disservice by promoting and supporting these deregulated flyers using funds that possibly originate from those fees. Permit and mod fees may even have to increase to fund this support ?
    So would the permit flyers rather the SSDR flyers went their own way to relieve the financial pressure ?
    Maybe a permit flyers association could be started and BMAA could organise a fly in for them ( of course this would exclude SSDR aircraft )

Take this in the manner it is written ( very tongue in cheek and have a bucket of salt on standby)

Chris

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast