Thread: 462 bogging down when taking power

not real name 100 Club

462 bogging down when taking power

As per the title my 462 wouldn't get past 2800 revs before the power dropped off and revs died. Replaced needle and jet, now it's singing again, no other adjustments needed.

So what do you think was happening Dom?
    Dave

not real name 100 Club

I will expand on the symptoms a bit first. Starts fine (first pull with full choke). Catch the engine on a tad of throttle then choke off. Idle at 2000 revs. Apply throttle, revs climb to 2800 and then stop. As more throttle is applied the engine starts slowing and for want of a better word "chugging". Release throttle and the revs climb. Thus too much fuel getting in. Engine would either then return to idle all be it a tad rough or continue to slow then die with attempts at keeping it running by opening the throttle making matters worse with more chugging at lower revs. (Flooding).
    Changed needle which had lots of colour variations down its length and had a kind of silvery sticky paste on it just below the slots and the jet which definitely had signs of wear inside the bore. I always change as a pair anyway.
    Started first pull and throttle response now crisp throughout the rev range.
    I now have troubles with the idle but that's a different story in another thread!

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

I've found, in the past, that the wear is not always as visible at that, ofton just a shiny patch on the neadle. You can see a little more with a powerful glass and detect a slight uneveness with the edge of a fingenail, but changing both the needle and the jet made all the difference.

not real name 100 Club

I don't think my camera is good enough to take a pic of the wear in the jet. Like you say Ginge the wear is barely discernible on the needle.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

I wonder...do you have one of those squeeze primer bulb fitted Dom??

Nick.