Thread: Bing 54 carb mods (462 engine)

not real name 100 Club

Bing 54 carb mods (462 engine)

I just cant help myself. Whilst waiting for the new needle and jet to arrive following a loss of revs when taxying i took the opportunity to clean out the carb. The idle mixture o ring was mangled so i ordered a new one. Then i got thinking and trawling the internet for modifications. Couldnt find anything so i took it upon myself to apply some knowledge from porting the intake runners on cars. Iv reshaped the intake of the carb body to remove all sharp angle changes and roughened up the surface to 80 grit for better fuel mixing and air flow on both sides of the venturi. The size of the intake and outlet have not been altered. Why bother? More power at lower RPM.
    New o ring, new stock needle and jet fitted.
    The motor fired first pull but idle is a bit rough and revs too low. Turned the idle adjustment screw to raise the slide and nothing happened to the engine speed! Raised the needle one notch. Reset the idle screw. Tried again..now the idle went up but had to wind the idle adjustment screw right in....and still cant get 2000 revs. Ran out of daylight and i got flippin frozen in the process!! Next thing is to try running the motor and opening the choke...that way i get to see if its too much or not enough fuel getting in. If its not enough fuel then a larger idle jet will be fitted.
    More to follow......

Air leak somewhere after the throttle venturi?

not real name 100 Club

There is nowhere past the venturi for it to leak Dave. Carb rubber socket is good.
    I gave it a test today with stock settings. Starts first pull. 1/2 turn on idle mixture screw and 2 turns on the idle screw. Idle sits at 1800 and sounds a bit clattery. Power check was good with a smooth response throughout. Drops back to an 1800 idle. It still appears the only way to increase idle speed is to raise the slide a tad. I'm going to have a play with a modded idle jet and see what happens tomorrow.

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

There is a small port with a rubber cap after the venturi, I once had all sorts of hassle with one due to a concealed split in the cap allowing a leak.

not real name 100 Club

I know the cap you mean, but this carb doesn't have that tube fitted, so no cap.

not real name 100 Club

So having a read up last night and I find that if the engine surges at low throttle it's a lack of fuel. Well it certainly climbs in revs then they drop slightly when the throttle is just cracked open so I will take that as a surge. I'm using a spare idle jet that I'm re-drilling as I don't think a stock size will work for this. I'm off to the airfield for a play.

not real name 100 Club

Dom, When I first read your post I immediately thought of the air mixture screw 0 ring (if mangled etc it will cause rpm stall between 2 and 3 K).
    The fact that you have found that problem and changed the 0 ring would cause me to take the air screw out and check you haven't damaged the 0 ring fitting it (very easily done).
    Your symptoms all sound to me like too lean a mixture caused by an air leak - air screw, rubber carb mount, inlet manifold gasket, perished (missing?) rubber throttle gator sleeve, 0 ring on top of carb turret etc.
    If I was you I would put everything back to 'stock' and try again!.

not real name 100 Club

Only mod I have done to mine is to fit a 30 watt heater (details provided if require).

not real name 100 Club

Cheers for that Paul. Iv tried a different size idle jet that was drilled out. All that did was to make the engine bog down and idle at 500 revs. So reset all mixture screws and refitted the original idle jet. Bingo all is well at 2000 revs. Smooth power right across the range and starts first pull. Not sure if it's my reshaped intake but now I noticed that it didn't need any choke to start. Suits me. I'm hoping that the re shaping has made some sort of difference. I need to go for a fly to check fuel burn.

There's still a few places for air to leak in Dom. Failed crank oil seal, for example. 462s are 'clattery' at 1800 - at 2000 also, come to that. Have you checked your rev counter is accurate at 2000?
    Dave