Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots of people watching but not saying much

not real name 100 Club

Lots of people watching but not saying much

I wonder who all the people are that watch our posts but don't say much? Are they newbies who are trying to take it all in, or the old brigade who remember days of chainsaw engine flying machines?

Senior Member 100 Club

I read loads of stuff and comment occasionally. How can you tell how many are watching??

Senior Member 100 Club

Beats counting sheep.

Just

Senior Member 100 Club

My little lad (4) couldn't sleep and I told him to imagine a field of sheep and count them. Two seconds later his eyes were open again. There were only four sheep apparently. Little logic for you!

What do you mean remember (you cheeky young whippersnapper) I'm still flying my Sthil powered Chargus Vortex !

Dominic Pecheur wrote: I wonder who all the people are that watch our posts but don't say much? Are they newbies who are trying to take it all in, or the old brigade who remember days of chainsaw engine flying machines?

PS. How about a McCulloch powered Wasp 229?
    Slow to the future!

not real name 100 Club

Hat wasn't the purpose of this thread Kev! But now you mention it how did you work out prop size back then? Trial and error?

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Dom,

I think people have a look at the forum on an irregular basis just to see what's going on, and what's making news every now and again. Whether they feel like commenting on what's being said is another matter. In many cases I follow a thread just to see what arguments are being made for or against something, and if I have a strongly held view, or I think I can come up with something that helps clarify the subject then I might put fingers to keyboard, otherwise I'll just read it and move on.

Best regards,

Senior Member 100 Club

Quite happy watching the ssdr debate at the moment. Not got loads to say at present.

More error than trial Dom!

Dominic Pecheur wrote: Hat wasn't the purpose of this thread Kev! But now you mention it how did you work out prop size back then? Trial and error?

Actually Dom, I think you'll finfd that the people who read this forum cover the whole spectrum of experience. It is interesting to note though, that conversation has declined a lot over the years, both on forums (fora), and emails between local club members.

When I started flying microlights, we used to trailer to meet at the club field and rig out of the bag every time. It was a totally different social scene to what it is now.

Later, when we gained email technology, there were lots of emails between members. We would discuss where we were going to fly to, and how many we could muster to go etc.

Now, there are very few if any emails between club members. Everyone seems to do their own thing. No more do we all meet at the club field for BBQ's and a chat. Once in a blue moon maybe.

Pilots these days have more complicated, faster aircraft which are more capable of reaching far greater distances. They operate from strips spread all over the place, and most have hangarage too, so club fields are little used now.

This still doesn't explain the obvious death of communication though. I remember a time when, if I went away for a week ( no emails on mobiles then ), when I returned, there would be pages of interesting emails to read where I could learn what had been going on while I was away.

These days, an email to ask who's going flying, and where to etc draws maybe one or two replies ! In fact I find that these days, I tend to fly to destinations on my own. EGHN ( Sandown ) for instance. Have a chat with folks there and return home, usually without having met any club members.

Although we all operate from different strips/airfields etc, club atmosphere has died for some reason. Unless I fly with a passenger, I find aviation now, very insular. What a shame.

Even reading the forums, I rarely see local names, whereas everyone used to be buzzing with enthusiasm.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast