Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High performance training aircraft, yes or no?

High performance training aircraft, yes or no?

I'm afraid I have to disagree - The need for speed is about the amount of headwind that you can afford to fly in.

Laurie (2)

[quote=Paul Welsh]

The need for speed is more about what your mates fly

Banned Banned500 Club

I always thought it was about whether you fly for the fun of being up there or fly for the fun of getting somewhere.
    If you wanna fly fast through headwinds then a microlight's not the beast to do it - go 3-axis and fly a Europa, an RV, or one of Bert Rutan's designs. In reality, it probably depends on your flying budget.
    I think...

Senior Member 500 Club

The more powerful machines have a bigger weather window. More flyable days. More viable journeys.

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

That is why non microlights have such an edge if that's the kind of flying you want

Well said Ginge. If getting there is the most important thing then you fly a microlight for reasons the concept wasn't originally invented for. There are far better machines out there to achieve your objectives.

I am not sure that fast is bad and slow good or vice versa. We have a fantastic range of machines within the microlight category and all are far cheaper and more practical to run than most non microlight types.

Even our older types have shown that they can travel round the world - Quantum, shadow and blade. And the Atlantic was first conquered By Eppo Numan with a Raven wing.

Of course in this time hungry impatient world we would all like a machine that allows us to fly when we want and where we want, so weather capability - both in terms of ability to push effectively into a headwind or not be too terrifying in turbulence is desireable, but then again with some patience and flexibility to grab an early morning / late evening, or get that that great Monday off work even the lightest slowest types can give you a few hundred hours flying a year, and at very low costs indeedand offer a unique type if flying.

It's different strokes for different folks on the flying experience too - for some the more open and visceral the better - closer to the birds and the elemental sensation of flight. For others the apparent security of a closed cockpit is a big chunk of getting enjoyment rather than terror from flying, and the heater can make a winters day that much easier to fill with many flying hours.

So vive la difference really and respect each other's preferences - but keep your minds open and try the other side if the sport if you haven't already.

I am blessed in that I have access to some wonderful weather capable high speed long legged machines like the Nynja and Quik and fantastic minimalist machines like the dragons. In each I find immense enjoyment at their individual capabilities and sensations.

Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123