Thread: Batten bugees

Batten bugees

Some of the bungee loops holding the battens along the trailing edge of my GT450's wing are beginning to look tired and not so springy. My plan is to replace them. I have bought some bungee from the ever helpful P&M folk for this. I'm assuming for each batten that its just a question of cutting a length the same as the existing cord, threading it through the eyes in the trailing edge and tying the ends together. A few minor issues it would be handy to hear a wider viewpoint on:
    '"
    • n".self:rocess_list_items("'.str_replace('
      ', '', ' 1) Does a bungee renewal need to be inspected and then countersigned in the aircraft’s logbook?
      2) Looking an some www sites about using bungee on yachts and other craft they mention heating the end of a length of cut bungee to seal it and prevent the sleeve fraying. Is this worth while for these batten bungees?
      3) Are there any obvious banana skins I should be watching out for when carrying out this maintenance task? ').'")."n
    "'

not real name 100 Club

Batten bugees

Stephen,
    Just enter the bungee replacement in the log book - the inspector will examine the bungees as a matter of course at permit. If you are not sure that the job is done correctly get another flexwing pilot to have a look. The main thing to do (obviously) is achieve the same tension as previous.
    One other thing that is important is the knot (you should try and duplicate the manufacturer's).
    I have never found the need for heat sealing but if you have a 'heat cutter' (like a soldering iron but with a blade) I would use it (being careful to keep it away from the sail!!)
    ....and finally cut the bungee 'after' making the knot ( you will need the 'waste' to tie the knot)!

Batten bugees

Thanks for the info Paul. Good point about the knot. I'm assuming it's just a simple reef knot but will check carefully what's already there.

Stephen

Batten bugees

just catching the end of the knot with heat will simply stop the ends from fraying, probably more of a cosmetic thing and easy to do even with a lighter