Thread: EGT's anyone else noticed this!!!

not real name 100 Club

EGT's anyone else noticed this!!!

Operated rotax 447's on shell advance 2 stroke oil (had lots of it available) - finally used it all up and didn't like the price of it to buy new! So purchased a big 60 ltr plastic drum as recommended by other pilots (good price and highly recommended - can't remember name or supplier).

Anyhow (point of post) started to use the new stuff two days ago ( first bit of good weather for about four months) and noticed my EGT's that were always a bit tending to the higher limit were now much better behaved and consistently lower!

Is it me or has anyone else had similar EGT variance with change of oil?

Can't comment on it Paul as no EGT, but I'd guess the weather might make a significant difference.
    Need to buy bulk oil; what did you settle on?
    Freedom seem to have stopped making our favourite stuff.
    Dave

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Yes I've been forced to change after Freedom oils became no longer available. After spending a good while looking at what is available I'm trying Skydrive's own brand, unfortunatly not available by the drum but it apears a decent semi with a good dye.

So far (not many flights since my drum ran out) the ole 503 starts readily and burns nice and clean, although I'll know better after my first decoke. I've noticed no difference in EGTs yet although more variation in the weather may yet show something, we shall see.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Ginge...I seem to remember that you are also a m,ember of "That other place":-)

Don't forget that one of the members is an Agent for Exol oils and their semi synth 2 stroke (same spec as Skydrive I believe) is 67.80 for 20 Litres less 10% if you are a member of Vince's crowd:-)

http://www.lubetechshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22_35&products_id=241

I no longer have anything to do with that forum I'm afraid, sounds a good deal for those that are though.

Yes, Freedom (Batoyle) is now part of the Fuchs group who also own Silkolene. All of the Freedom products have been gold-plated by the new owners with prices to reflect their new superiority.

Just bought some of the Exol yesterday Ginge. Reading the forum, I don't believe the deal is exclusive to them (correct me someone, if I'm wrong) - I believe it's for microlighters generally. Even without the discount, it's still good value, and ticks all of the spec boxes of Skydrive's and Shell VSX alternatives. It's a semi-synth, which seems to be the best compromise of performance and anti-corrosion.
    PM sent.
    Dave

Thanks Dave, I'm a firm believer in good quality semi synth and the only other thing I ask for is a decent dye so that I can see the level easily when I look at the sight tube.

Senior Member 500 Club

Hi everybody,

I have 18 X 1 litre bottles of quality Silkolene and Shell two stroke oil to sell now I no longer run my Rotax 447. Plus 1 litre of the fancy gear oil - Gulf MP SAE 85/140 API GLS5 (Mile -L-2105D)

The Silkolene is their 2T Super 2 Injector semi-synthetic.

The Shell is Advance 2T Synthetic.

Available close to Horsham Sussex or fly in to my strip by pre-arrangement, price 100 the lot.

mike hallam

Please mail my direct address if interested mikehallam at btinternet dot com

Ginge, I'll let you know what colour it is when it arrives.
    Dave

It's a nice shade of red Ginge. So what we're used to...
    Dave