Thread: Is this the motor that saves the sport?

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Is this the motor that saves the sport?

http://kitplanes2.com/blog/2016/04/aeromarine-lsa-introduces-pegasus-dp-1-o-100-engine/

Old fashioned, direct drive, 1640cc, but hits the magic 58-60hp figure for a multitude of tractor aircraft, and smaller flexwings too.

Wonder what the fuel burn would be?

Kev

Diamond geezer 500 Club

How many pilots want to build their own engine?

http://flypegasuspower.com/wp/

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Good point, although any GA tech used to Lycomings etc. could screw that together in short order

Converted the weight though and found it is 7 kilos heavier than my 35hp Briggs, so definitely needs the power,

Kev

not real name 500 Club

It won't save the Sport, anymore than the 'Global' or the HSK products could - you can't attribute that to any Motor but since we are spoilt for choice, how much better to have a higher revving more efficient job with a Gearbox. It's pointless to stick to 1930s technology today. I had a JAP J99 some years ago that I sold for pennies to a bloke with a Luton Minor, that was similar in spec to that.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Thanks Ted, thought it was a motor that could combine GA expertise for repairs and spares, but thinking about it, it's a dinosaur
    Probably get better results from uprating a 1000cc industrial V-Twin with reduction drive and fan cooling, you can get a reliable 55-60hp out of them according to hovercraft people something I'd like to have tackled, but because of the old 115kg limit, stuck with the smaller 627cc instead. That limit is around 35-38hp with tuning.

Cheers

Kev

Kev Armstrong wrote: Thanks Ted, thought it was a motor that could combine GA expertise for repairs and spares, but thinking about it, it's a dinosaur
    Probably get better results from uprating a 1000cc industrial V-Twin with reduction drive and fan cooling, you can get a reliable 55-60hp out of them according to hovercraft people something I'd like to have tackled, but because of the old 115kg limit, stuck with the smaller 627cc instead. That limit is around 35-38hp with tuning.

Cheers

Kev
    My Hirth F23 pushes out 50hp, from 521 cc.

Rick

Senior Member 500 Club

106lbs and lots of O-200 parts. That will come at a hefty price! Gimme a 500cc direct injection two stroke with liquid cooling at 30lbs less.