Thread: Quasar monopole, support when folded?

Quasar monopole, support when folded?

I have a quasar 2 .
    Is there an easy way to support the monoplole when folded ?
    Perhaps I'm missing something?
    I keep breaking the fairing when I fold it down to wheel it into my trailer .
    I have made a bit of alloy that kind of does the job...sort of

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Lindsay,

Surely you need a tube with a Y or U shaped bit of alloy on the top that can sit over the lower front strut to support the monopole. They're easy to make. Just get hold of the outer sleeve off an old front strut, cut a piece that's about 6" or so long, put a plug of either wood or plastic in one end, and get some flat aluminium bar, bend it into a largish U shape that will fit round the monopole, cover the U shape with some padding, and bolt the U piece to the wooden plug in the tube. Then when you fold the trike the monopole will rest on the U piece supported by the tube that slides down over the lower front strut. Simples!

I've uploaded a picture of my plane with a Y shaped monopole support sitting on the lower front strut, please take a look to see what I mean. Incidentally, the one on my plane is extended as I have a higher touring screen on my plane, so I had to extend the height of the support with an extra piece of front strut tubing to stop the monopole resting on the screen.

Best regards,

Attached files

I think I have a p+m bracket for holding the monopole lying in my garage somewhere with the strap attached to hold the monopole in place

Thanks William,
    A picture would be very helpful.
    The trike did not come with anything and ,if not for the fairing it would be simple .
    I thought of fitting a gas strut or something the would prevent the fairing damage when being ground handled with out the wing and folded .
    Although the streamlining is nice,it is a pain to transport .
    I have a fully enclosed trailer that needs the trike to be half folded for loading.

Lindsay