Thread: Shadow Plans

Shadow Plans

Hi, Im at a bit of a loose end and was wondering if there is or could be of any benefit in turning my hand to produce construction drawings for the Shadow..Are there any restrictions or anybody that would be possibly offended. Is there any better particular model. What are the latest modifications etc..Im not looking for any reward. I need to keep my autocad skills in practice. I would be grateful for your comments...

not real name 500 Club
    Thornhill (Easter Poldar) Farm Strip West of Stirling, near Kippen in Scotland

Shadow Plans

Peter,

I would ask David Cook. Given that the Shadow is his brainchild, in every sense of the word, it would be a simple courtesy. He has always been very helpful in imparting his knowledge of the aircraft and as the Shadow fleet gets older it's not a bad idea to keep as much good quality info out there for owners and would be owners ? I personally believe that the Shadow could still be a cost effective microlight in today's cash strapped aviation world if another manufacturer could be found (The history there is a bit rocky unfortunately). The BMAA adopted the aircraft when the last company went bust, so ping them too ?

Google BMAA Type Approval for B, C and D series TADS

Regards

G

Shadow Plans

Thanks Graham.. I will take your advice.... Peter

Senior Member 500 Club

Shadow Plans

Hi Peter,

An Acad man with time on his hands - wow -

I don't want to slow down your aspirations of recording the Shadow on electrons but why not make it interesting and design the next generation Shadow.
    If you limit the brief to a single seat which the Shadow always was with SSDR you or someone could build it.

If you have the opportunity to spend with David Cook then it will be time worth spent in my opinion , not for the drawing details but for the way he came up with the notion of different materials doing different jobs.

His ability to take a plane that fly's and redesign and manufacture it in such a way that its improved beyond the normal required a fresh approach which in hindsight is obvious but at the time is approaching fantasy.

Get a bit of that and then let the mind wander and see what happens.

Best of luck.

PS two engines !!!!

not real name 500 Club
    Thornhill (Easter Poldar) Farm Strip West of Stirling, near Kippen in Scotland

Shadow Plans

Mick, two engines on a Shadow variant sounds like a plan :-). Did l see a twin boom design somewhere too ?

Senior Member 500 Club

Shadow Plans

Graham,

That's the idea of two engines , it avoids the twin boom but don't tell anyone ;-)

I am sure we could all come up with a wish list to help Peter on his way.

The sky IS the limit!

Shadow Plans

Thanks Mick and Graham,, Yes Meeting David would be a good idea. Im not sure Im up to aircraft designing from scratch Im Civils/Construction biased, you know concrete and rebar etc!!! To modify the Shadow concept with Davids input would be the way forward...My Spare time... I fell and landed badly on my knee ripping the ligaments and now wait surgery, plus ended up with phlebitis on my other knee after too much traveling and on top of all that last weekend I dragged myself to A&E with what I thought was a bad ear ache and being told Ive got Mumps!! So before I meet David I need to make sure Im not to contagious.....I think gathering accurate information will be the hardest part, playing on autocad is easy...
    I like the twin boom idea... Have you seen this 4 stroke engine 65hp 60kgs looks good for a Shadow
    If plans help to enable people to start building a known proven aircraft. I will be glad to help... But I will need input

Thanks Peter

Attached files

Senior Member 500 Club

Shadow Plans

Peter
    Well while the NHS repairs you it might be good to pass the time by reading David's autobiography which will be a useful introduction.

Shadow Plans

Hello Mick,

here is Jeri from Czech, if You can remember our comunication about green Shadow You flew here in Czech :-)
    Am also thinking about building of Streak or StarStreak.

I've missed cheap Shadow for sale, few weeks ago :-(

Regards,
    Jeri

Senior Member 500 Club

Shadow Plans

Hi Jeri,

You are probably talking about David my son when he just lost out and achieved second place in the international competition in my Shadow.

I was there for the prize giving and beer so maybe it was me ;-)

Its personal choice but I prefer the CD for the flying though its not very fast but neither am I most of the time these days.

Best wishes in your hunt for a machine.

Mick