Thread: ICOM IC-A6E

ICOM IC-A6E

I find the manual supplied by ICOM virtually unreadable. I need to know how to display the names I have input rather than the frequency.
    I have viewed some videos on youtube but how to do this is not mentiioned.
    The older you get the thicker you get. No doubt its easy (for a 16 year old).

Can anyone provide a few simple instructions before I tear out what little hair I have left.

ICOM IC-A6E

I thought I was the only one. Following this thread with interest.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

ICOM IC-A6E

Have you considered contacting Icom to see if the Cloning Software for Windows is still available with the cloning cable?

This might make it easier for you to do it from a keyboard?

It looks to me from reading the manual that the procedure is fairly similar to the A3E.

Personally I think that the pictures and flow chart on page 15 of the IC-A24E_A6E_ENG(8.33) manual on the Icom UK site explains it, but I suspect this will be regarded as unhelpful.

From the manual:

NOTE: Comments appear first when programmed, however, the transceiver can be programmed by your dealer to show the operating frequency first. Push [MR•MW] to display the comment in this case.

So if you entered and saved the comment (the name) it should be displayed unless this was programmed to be frequency.

If you press the named key and the comment does not appear then I'm guessing it wasn't programmed.

About to buy an A6E so I promise you will have the last laugh.

Senior Member 100 Club

ICOM IC-A6E

Has anyone used a Yaesu radio? They look much better specced than Icom and cheaper too. The screen is large and the user interface seems more intuative. I have to consult the Icom manual every time that I want to program a new name and frequency. It is so un-intuative.

Take a look here http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Yaesu-T...ansceiver+1546

Diamond geezer 500 Club

ICOM IC-A6E

AdrianJones wrote: Has anyone used a Yaesu radio? They look much better specced than Icom and cheaper too. The screen is large and the user interface seems more intuative. I have to consult the Icom manual every time that I want to program a new name and frequency. It is so un-intuative.

Take a look here http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Yaesu-T...ansceiver+1546
    I looked at both approved Yaesu radios (550/750).

Upside = lower cost and higher spec.

Downside = I have a Lynx intercom, it is a switch change to go from the A2/A20 to the A6E, and no change at all from the A3E to the A6E. Plug and play. I'd have to rig the 11V step down, but that's it. Whilst I am snagging I can go back to my A3E at any time, plugs all compatible.

To fit the Yaesu, I would need to return the intercom to Lynx for surgery. That surgery would make it incompatible with any Icom radio. I would also have to buy other adapters.

The cost of the surgery and cables is more than the saving on the Yaesu. Plus I'm currently flying two aircraft and so two intercoms would need work. I intend to cut back to one transportable A6E and keep the intercoms untouched.

I wanted a Yaesu, but to save money I will need to buy an Icom. Plus I owe them because they were one of the main reasons for the transportable exemption we got without which there would be no approved 8.33 hand held radios.

Senior Member 100 Club

ICOM IC-A6E

All good points Steve. I am in the same situation. I have an A22E and I shall probably go for the A6E.

What do you mean by a switch change is needed? Also what is that about an 11V step down?

Have you noticed the following statement in the A6 Manual,

IMPORTANT!: IC-A24E/A6E is for GROUND STATION USE ONLY. The IC-A24E/A6E CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be used in an aircraft or as the MAIN RADIO.

What is that all about when the CAA have approved it?

Senior Member 100 Club

ICOM IC-A6E

I've just bought a yaesu fta550l. Seems very good so far. Battery life is incredible compared to my old a6. Lynx relai headset works a treat with it.

ICOM IC-A6E

I think I now have the A6E sorted.
    As noted above if there is a memory name keyed in and saved then the radio defaults to showing the name. So whatever I was doing the name hadn't been saved correctly.

I havny worked out how to change the "Bank" but I have put in 20 most used frequencies and that should do me for now. Thanks for all the help.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

ICOM IC-A6E

AdrianJones wrote: All good points Steve. I am in the same situation. I have an A22E and I shall probably go for the A6E.

What do you mean by a switch change is needed? Also what is that about an 11V step down?
    If you look at the manual for your Lynx intercom, if it's the same as mine you will see that A20 or older is one set of switch settings, A3E or newer another.

http://www.lynx-avionics.com/English...figuration.pdf

AdrianJones wrote: Have you noticed the following statement in the A6 Manual,

IMPORTANT!: IC-A24E/A6E is for GROUND STATION USE ONLY. The IC-A24E/A6E CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be used in an aircraft or as the MAIN RADIO.

What is that all about when the CAA have approved it?
    That's a European wide manual. In the UK we have an exemption issud by the CAA.

In France you have to have the A6/A24FR, E versions are not allowed for aircraft use.

So the warning is true after a fashion. Icom UK has the correct certificate to show you if needed.

Robert Whitton wrote: I think I now have the A6E sorted.
    As noted above if there is a memory name keyed in and saved then the radio defaults to showing the name. So whatever I was doing the name hadn't been saved correctly.
    thanks for the feedback, it's invaluable for others having problems, to know the things said were good/bad/indifferent, as applicable.

Senior Member 100 Club

ICOM IC-A6E

Thanks Steve, I've seen the Icom certificate that's why I was confused.