Thread: 582 blue top won't turn over

582 blue top won't turn over

Problem - 582 will not turn over on starter, however it spins great if one plug on each cylinder is removed.
    Attached car battery to a/c battery, turn key, starter motor gives a "clunk" (pinion engaging with starter ring?) then nothing - remove plugs and engine spins normally. I'm very suspicious of the starter motor, can they collapse under load?

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Ross,

Sounds like the motor's had it. If you can, try to borrow another starter and see if that works. The symptoms definitely point in the direction of the motor, and if the relay's gone between the solenoid and the motor then it could be that it just can't turn under load. Either that or there's a problem with the wiring, such as a lead not being able to carry the required amps for turning the motor under load. Either way you'll have some checking to do, and the only way to do it effectively is with substitution.

Best of luck,

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Assuming the car battery is good (582/503 starter current is about 150 Amps with a higher peak load..).:-)

Short answer.. yes the starter can give the impression of failing under load.... often due to worn/stuck brushes, or in some cases a shorted turn in the windings....
    You say you have attached a car battery to aircraft battery... presumably by "jump leads"?....these leads DO need to be substantial.....
    Similar problem can be caused by:
    a. bad contacts in the starter relay
    b. poor earth return........ especially prominent if the aircraft frame is used instead of a direct cable return.

Have you tried using the external battery jump leads directly onto the starter terminal... obviously taking every suitable precaution and not possible to do safely with some installations.
    If it is still the same.... starter.... if then ok..... cable/relay/earth problem

If you are not aware, all the Rotax 2 stroke starter motors are the same (277/377/447/503/532/582/618) and Mark Jones, Galaxy Microlights
    mark@galaxymicrolights.co.uk
    often has used starters available.
    Conair Sports stock new replacements and parts at a reasonable price

Sorry Bob your finger got there first!!!

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Wally,

Thank you for your much better explanation of the possible problems than mine. From the symptoms I'm inclined to say the relay is at fault, although it could be the brushes. Usually if the brushes go there's some warning in the form of lessening performance, i.e. motor struggling to turn the engine. When the relay goes it goes, and that's it. If it's only passing a small current then the solenoid could be sticking in the housing and thus not making a good enough contact.

I know I've had similar problems with car starters in the past, and scratched my head a few times, before hitting the side of the solenoid with something hard. Then it miraculously closed the contacts properly and the motor was able to turn the engine over.

I've found that this usually happens in the dark, when you're far from home, on a cold winter's night, and with a car full of irritable youngsters who just want to go home. At that time my membership of the AA has come in very handy!

Best regards,

Thanks for the tips Guys, - battery is in my diesel car, heavy duty jump leads. I'm pretty certain the solenoid is O.K. but I'm going to connect the jump leads directly from the battery to the starter - stand well back please - and see what transpires.

Ross

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Ross, If the battery is in the car.. when you try to connect it, have the car engine running at reasonable revs...helps overcome any voltage drop in the jump leads.
    Bob
    I have found that...... "If in doubt give it a clout"... normally always cures any "problem".............. especially if the hammer is a "sledge hammer":-)