Thread: Smoke Generator

Senior Member 500 Club

Smoke Generator

Hi

Any chemist's out there ??

I picked up a Nirvana Sky Writer system ( electric pump into the exhaust) while at the world air games as you do and have now mislaid the smoke oil.

I could probably buy some more but think that it would be more useful if I mixed up my own but the main problem is that I have concerns that any locals seeing me in the sky with smoke coming out the back may feel a bit concerned and phone someone who cares at first but may become less pleased with the waste of time sorting the local old age pensioner out.

I was interested in the possibility of mixing something up which was a colour other than white and at the same time did not kill off the local cows.

So what's best for white smoke and is there a mix which would give me a coloured smoke?

Any help appreciated

Senior Member 100 Club

Smoke Generator

We've used a mix of baby oil and diesel 50/50 for white smoke in the paramotors.

Senior Member 500 Club

Smoke Generator

Thanks John,

I assume the baby oil is veggie based to be kinder to your bum ?

Might ask the fireworks guys for how they do the colour, maybe keep the eccelerant as well for a bit of boost on take-off ;-)

Smoke Generator

At Hucknall we acquired 2 x 200 litre drums of Shell smoke oil. Not sure what happened to it when the airfield closed...
    Rumour was that it is the same as machining/cutting oil. (Not, I assume the soluble (suds) variety.)
    Dave

Senior Member 500 Club

Smoke Generator

HI Dave ,
    I would have thought that is a hell of a lot of smoke!
    When you see the Red Arrow types they must burn a lot to get the effect but I think that's pumped into the thrust tube so plenty of heat and gas flow.
    Problem as I see it with the Polini is to burn it will need to be injected near the cylinder to ensure its hot enough to burn so any excess will soak the rest of the exhaust system.
    Anyone who has worked with the early two-strokes will realise that this will effect the performance and need to be burnt out on a regular basis.
    Sounds messy but plenty of suck it and see should get me there.
    The other problem is the pump and seals because if they are sorted for veggie oil and I dilute it with diesel I may destroy the seal.
    Keep the idea's coming

Senior Member 100 Club

Smoke Generator

Tell a lie. 70/30 diesel/baby oil.

Senior Member 500 Club

Smoke Generator

Red Diesel I presume.

Your not blowing smoke this time ?

Smoke Generator

One thing to be careful of with a two-stroke is that some of the 'exhaust' is pushed back into the cylinder. So you'd need to inject your concoction well down the tract.
    Dave