not real name 500 Club

Quik MPD June 22nd - split ring replacement

not real name 100 Club

PICTURES WOULD BE GREAT????

not real name 100 Club

Lets be clear on this!!!!

That type of split ring is likely used across all of the microlight aircraft flying today?

So where is the advice to replace every and all applications (just checked my Chaser and they are everywhere)?

Also the 'G' type can be released very easily if in the wright/wrong position and subject to small external force (which the topic type cannot/are more difficult).

In closing this incident simply identifies the need to 'actually check' the pre flight state of fasteners and locking devices (all of them).

Agreed that it seems strange that one would work its way out - chances are that it was either damaged or not fully fitted IMHO.

The type of split ring in question is a very small diameter with thin wire and HADS spiral lead in. They are generally only used in this upper rear rigging area - I think they come with the fitting from the makers of this dingy rigging fitting. Chasers usually use the larger G ring which have thicker wire and higher ring tension / friction.

The SB is of course the easiest and safest reaction to the incident. There is no need for a quick release ring in these positions.

We see a lot of bent and distorted split rings on annual inspections. It's probably timely to get people to pay attention to looking for this on pre flight inspections, and also checking full engagement. They are a simple item to check, so no engineering savvy needed.

One point on the SB - if you don't read it very carefully its easy to believe it's just one ring to replace with a split pin - the one the picture shows, but there is a second one to replace - the text says so but I reckon it would be easy to miss that.

Paul

On an Inspection earlier this year I found the split ring was missing on the rear pin of a GT450 nose-catch. The pin it secured was still in place, jammed by the nose catch swan neck, and if it had come out the pip pin would have still been there to hold it all together.

There are a lot of places where nappy pins and split rings are used but a more secure split pin would be better. For example the T600N rudder cables are secured to the rudder by pins held in place with nappy pins. The only reason nappy pins are used there is to help de-rigging - a throw back to when wings were frequently removed. Not too relevant today.

Maybe this SB is a wake-up call that we ought to move to using proper split pins wherever possible.

AndyB

Split pins ordered yesterday from P+M, here today. FOC
    They can't do better than that.
    AndyB

I'd be surprised if they worked their way out in the normal way. I'd bet that, depending on which way the shackle 'sits', they can get a lot of pressure and, with vibration, might just wear through.
    The other one to watch out for is the accidental release of a shackle at the end of the long luff line. The cable would run through until the thimble snagged in the pulley, leaving a long trailing loop on the 'good' side of the wing... But I'm guessing it's never happened.
    Dave

if the split rings with a 90 degree bend are OK as installed on electric trimmed Quiks, what happens if these rings are already installed on the manual trimmed Quiks, do they still have to be replaced?
    cheers, Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast