Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSDR Rally - what's coming?

SSDR Rally - what's coming?

So who's bringing what to the SSDR rally?

I'm bringing my part-built twin-engined framework, the "W-1" I entered into the original SSDR design competition. I'll be happy to discuss the how's and why's of what I've done so far, some of the tools and skills I've had to acquire, and why it has taken a while!

Photo attached, with luck. Its getting difficult to take a photo of it inside now!

Cheers,
    Paul.

Attached files

Senior Member 100 Club

Looks interesting Paul. It looks like wind may be the biggest feature of the weekend. I'm bringing the dragon. Can't decide which wing (fox or cyclone) though. I may bring a second trike that I've been rebuilding to tinker with when it's blowing a hoolie.

not real name 100 Club

John I'm probably coming down. Weather dependant - do you need any parts at all for your rebuild iv got plenty of small bits that I could do with moving on. Minimal costs to a like minded tinkerer :-)

i'll be there with the dragonChaser, and a list of things i'll be tinkering with.

Dom. do you have a silva compass in among your pile of plane bits

colin

not real name 100 Club

Not sure Colin, I'll take a look for you.

Senior Member 100 Club

Colin. I clean forgot to post that prop. Should I bring it down?

Senior Member 100 Club

I will be bringing my Shadow with various bits and pieces I intend to install.

The main mod is a housing to replace the pull start so that I can fit both an M4 starter and an oil pump.

A second mod is a 7 litre collector tank from a Savannah. It is a tall polypropylene cylinder that I plan to mount in the rear cockpit to use in competitions. The idea is to remove the slipper tank to save weight and then feed fuel, in flight, from the rear tank to the collector with an electric pump. When all the fuel has been transfered I will then be able to see exactly how many litres I have left. Simples.

I also want to fit simple fairings around the undercarriage legs. If anyone has experience of making one piece glassfibre wrap around aerofoil fairings, I would be interested to know.

Of course my long term aim is to chuck away the antiquated, polluting, 2-stroke, internal combustion engine, with its many moving parts, excessive maintenance schedule, and 25ish % efficiency, and replace it with a brushless electric motor of 96% efficiency, one moving part, and virtually no maintenance.

Just think for a moment what that would mean in a Shadow. Much reduced noise and vibration, especially in the rear cockpit. No carb icing (although that is not common on a Shadow), no engine failure or fuel system problems, no oil or exhaust deposits on the tailplane, and very cheap refuelling, possibly even free and completely green if generated with solar cells.

The motors and controllers have reached a peak in design and efficiency. They can't improve much since they are almost 100% efficient and have an enormous power to weight ratio. The only stumbling block is the batteries. They are improving all the time but we tend to forget that as well as steady development, there have been sudden leaps in technology in recent years which have given a step change in performance. There is no reason to believe that this will slow down. In fact there are several promising technologies that I believe will transform the energy density of batteries in the next few years. Ask yourself, would so many car manufacturers have put effort into pure electric, non hybrid, cars if they were not convinced that battery technology was going to rapidly improve. If it doesn't then the manufacturers stand to loose millions in wasted development as disgruntled customers turn away from cars with poor range and high replacement cost for the batteries.

Roll on the death of the internal combustion engine for everyday use. It will go the way of steam and we will wonder how we every tolerated such a complex, dangerous form of propulsion, while being in close proximity to the bomb which a tankful of fuel represents. The energy density of petrol is higher than TNT. It just doesn't all go off at once.

Any buy/sell parts/materials/tools might be worth bringing along.

I would like a nice low-speed ASI - 80mph max if anyone has one? And other instruments.

Any requests?

not real name 100 Club

Adrian iv just been having a read on Homebuiltaeroplanes about electric drive. I understand that electrics are the way of the future but how about (for now) a four stroke bike engine powering a generator/alternator and the final drive being a leccy motor? Engine can go where ever you like, I'm thinking under the seat of my trike and thrust line is also where ever you like with no reduction drive limitations. How about multiple smaller motors on your shadow wings? 4 engines anyone? This sound like ssdr heaven!!

john,

yes, please bring the prop.

I've got a genuine polini 250 rad and expansion bottle if anybody is interested.

colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast