Thread: Fuel pressure control with restricted jet?

Fuel pressure control with restricted jet?

Anyone know what the part number is and what it is actally called?
    This is the connector from the fuel pump which distributes the fuel to the 2 carbs and the fuel return. Looks like a cross. In one of the legs is a restricted valve in it and this goes back to the fuel tank.

Is there any way of cleaning the valve ? Or do I have to buy a new connector?

Wayne

not real name 100 Club

The item is a four way connector with restrictor. However, having taken that part apart a few times I have been a bemused by the array of 'restrictors' found!

They ranged from a carb jet to a wood screw?

Clearly the function of the restrictor is to allow excess fuel to return to the tank while at the same time maintaining fuel pressure to the carbs - to that end it would seem that a calibrated orifice (jet) would fit the bill?

However now the 'rub' - what size jet - who knows???

Probably best to accept the 'hit' and buy a new item (or advertise for a second hand bit). Speak to Simon - Eccleston Aviation (a 'fountain' of knowledge)

Come to think of it I am sure the orifice size has been discussed on the forums previously so you may 'look there'?

A restrictor with a jet is for the anti vapour lock return to tank. The one with a sawn off screw is for a fuel pressure gauge - it's vital that this is understood and they are piped correctly to do their respective jobs!

The screw restrictor is designed to be 'non flow' in that just enough fuel can wind it's way up the threads to provide pressure indication - but as the line goes into the cockpit and connects to the fuel pressure gauge, if it springs a leak you won't have a flood of fuel spraying all around the cockpit...

Swap the two over in ignorance and you could fall foul of vapour lock - and / or imitate a fiery comet...

Skydrive make and sell the anti vapour lock return items ( FRR ) - either in T or X forms. And also bake and sell the fuel pressure gauge restrictor in T form

Paul

PS to answer you question Wayne the jet in the fuel return can be cleaned same as a carb jet ( which is what it is - just repurposed) - back blow with compressed air - or 'wheedle' it with a piece of thin wire.

P

Paul

many thanks, I will try that approach then buy one if cleaning does not work.
    I did check skydrive site tonight but could not find the part.

regards
    wayne

They are there in'fuel system components'...

P

Paul
    Excellent, I have just cleaned the item and all is right in the world.

Many thanks

Wayne

Senior Member 500 Club

FWIW.

On my 912UL Rans I fitted a standard fuel pressure gauge some years ago. Twice since then I noticed that after flight it held pressure for hours sometimes. The cause was the bypass jet accumulating fine hairs and 'rubbish' behind it in its own recess, thus preventing the pump pressurized fuel from getting back to the overflow return & into one of the wing tanks.

Clearing it by shoving something back through the jet orifice when exposed at its Tee when the outlet side pipe was unclamped & pulled off, could/would stuff the debris back into the system and risk getting further on/into a carb and its jets. Not a good idea !

Luckily the original mod installer had used a screw in (~35?) carb jet which once removed carried the rubbish away with it. This blocking despite care on filtering fresh fuel has happened twice in 8 years, say 300 hours & I can't be the only victim.

IMHO. please remove the orifice and perhaps flush forwrds too ? to be sure.

mike hallam.[b][3] [/3]

Mike

yes I removed the fuel splitter with restriction valve and flushed backward in petrol. this cleared the blockage

thanks

wayne

Attached files