Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Precision Propeller

Precision Propeller

Hi,

Anyone know where to source precision propellers complete, or parts like the hub assembly etc?

Thanks

Joe

Senior Member 100 Club

Precision Propeller

Hi Joe,

The Precision props were made in the USA and are no longer in business, but the Shadow Flight Centre at Old Sarum has some blades and possibly even a hub in stock. Another source may be Danny Crosby. Try giving them both a call. Failing that, I would think that it's a case of watching for second hand props or complete aircraft being broken coming onto the market.

Regards,

Phil.

Precision Propeller

Thanks, left a message with SFC and a few others. (I guess it's holiday season at the mo).

If I don't get any luck, looking at the MAAN's, several shadows have been fitted with a 52" ivoprop. Anyone on here have an ivoprop and can give their views? (Several posts on other types have said they are good and might be better than a precision).

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Precision Propeller

I replaced the Precision with an IVO on my 503 C-D some 10 years ago and found an instant performance gain... shorter take off run.. thus more thrust...... and possibly also a slightly higher max speed..........but of course that may have been due to pitch difference between the 2 and the fact that the Precision simply would not track accurately.

Because the IVO is designed to flex with speed setting static pitch can be deceiving. I set pitch by adjusting to get 6500 static, 6800 on take off run.
    If you get a used IVO, irrespective of the original length, all can be cut down in diameter to fit, (min dia 48") thus eliminating most stone chips:-)....but ensure you get the later type with the 2 serrated faced aluminium clamp/adjustment dics......
    if you only manage to get a 2 blader, a matching 3rd blade can be obtained to match the existing blades (3 to 2 blade conversion simply involves the removal of spacer "doughnuts")
    Hope it helps

not real name 500 Club
    Thornhill (Easter Poldar) Farm Strip West of Stirling, near Kippen in Scotland

Precision Propeller

Joe, I'm sure Mick Broom won't mind me taking his name in vain but he helped me out with PP bits a few years ago. Maybe ping him.......

Precision Propeller

Thanks Wally, I've been asking around for either precision bits or a suitable arplast. (on the basis that these are both approved) - but if I go "new" - I like the idea/look of the ivoprop. Do you have any mod paperwork? (PM me).

Graham.. yes had already spoken with Mick. Unfortunately the precision bits are like hens teeth. Which is the same reason why SFC want to keep hold of theirs. (which I totally understand).

Senior Member 100 Club

Precision Propeller

Joe, you haven't said what the problem is with your existing prop....if it's a damage problem, is it not easy enough to get it repaired?
    Alternatively, there are companies which will make bespoke copies of your existing blades.

Precision Propeller

Hi Phil,

It is the plastic clamps that hold the root of the blades, I've got a couple that have developed a crack. (Only found when I took the prop apart as was going to get the pitch absolutely correct using a digital inclometer). Anyway, that is why I am looking for a damaged prop / spares, as this is the only thing wrong.
    I suspect there are a few old props out there, either damaged or simply replaced when people changed to Arplast & Ivo etc. Just need to find them.

Or looking to go for an Arplast, if I can't get any of these clamps. So far all that I've come across are too big. :-(

Last option will be to go for a new ivo - but that is mod country..... hence would rather avoid. Also shame as my precision is in pretty good nick otherwise.

Cheers

Joe

Precision Propeller

Looking at the mechanics of the clamping mechanism, I really can't convince myself that it is compromised by the split. I bet there are a good many out there operating with the split so, empirically, it would seem okay.
    Dave

not real name 500 Club
    Thornhill (Easter Poldar) Farm Strip West of Stirling, near Kippen in Scotland

Precision Propeller

Wouldn't advise that Dave. I had to replace one a good few years ago after a well intentioned someone overtorqued the hub bolts (easily done as the material compresses, and when you go back with the torque wrench it can look as if they haven't torqued up). Any bits of the sleeve flying off at max prop rotation around 2400 rpm (B Gearbox), or any speed, would be unwelcome indeed. I think if any crack is visible on any of the sleeves on inspection of a fully assembled hub it should be binned. As for possible cracking inside the clamped area I agree that it isn't so critical but the loads going on in there are very high and it won't take long to propagate. I strip the prop down every year to check the sleeves and rebalance and reset the pitch of the prop blades and repair any stone damage.

G

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast