Thread: X-Air windows

Flyingeeza

X-Air windows

Well chuffed! X-Air Falcon PtF renewed...new sails look great.
    Advice please...what type of plastic are the door and pod transparencies made of?
    Any advice on where to source a sheet or two would be much appreciated too.
    Many thanks!

not real name, Please Contact Admin 100 Club

X-Air windows

Hi Paul, the transparency material is called Lexan. Getting the right thickness is important, too thick and it's too heavy and difficult to bend, too thin and it's flimsy. I recall it being 2mm but I just can't find where I've seen that documented. I believe that supplied parts need to be trimmed so keep the originals for pattern templates. Try the UK agent as the transparencies carry part numbers for the standard X'air. If you want the Lexan for other purposes, try e-bay!

Flyingeeza

X-Air windows

Hi John. It's 1.5mm thick, and I just need to replace a door that has a few too many cracks around the catch area. Many thanks for your advice John.

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

X-Air windows

You will probably find that buying a sheet of the aproprate material is cheaper than buying from the manufacturer. As you have to trim it anyway we have found that making your own is just as easy,normaly faster and cheaper, 1.5 is very easy to work.

Senior Member 100 Club
    Essex, close to the infamous Stansted Zone

X-Air windows

Try Paul Dewhurst at Flylight. 1.5mm lexan is used in the Skyranger.

Alan

not real name, Please Contact Admin 100 Club

X-Air windows

I'm certain I posted last night.............. Paul, you might find the information in this publication very useful for drilling, cutting and mounting. See Section 2. http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/plastic_technical_data_sheets/lexan_polycarbonate_sheet_processing_guide.pdf