Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IVOPROP

IVOPROP

Hi,

Anyone have any experience of the IVOPROP on a shadow?

Been advised that I would need the "high pitch" version, due to having a 582 with an "E" gearbox, no idea if this is right though...

Thanks for any info.

Joe

IVOPROP

BTW. The gearbox is a 2.58:1 ratio (according to the paperwork), but most online info doesn't have the E gearbox with that ratio....

IVOPROP

Could it be because the prop has to be cut down significantly?
    Dave

Diamond geezer 500 Club

IVOPROP

I understand that the "high pitch" version is vertually the "standard" with the "low pitch" option available for the "20HP" range

Certainly, I think you would struggle with the low pitch at 52inch diameter........
    my 503 DCDI, at 52" dia, from memory uses about 2 of the 5.5 turns available (from the zero measurement), or so of pitch on the "quick adjust high pitch" Ivo. This to me, indicates that even on a 503 at 52" the "low pitch" would run out of adjustment..

IVOPROP Ultralight Model
    For engines up to 100 hp
    18"-52" or 35"-70" pitch range
    48"-72" diameter

Maybe a quick word with Mark at Galaxy Microlights would put your mind at rest.

IVOPROP

High Wally, not sure I quite understood what you meant by the high pitch is virtually the standard with low pitch option...
    But from the paperwork in the BMAA there is a 582 with an ivo, but has something like 17 degress on an 52 inch dia. So seems to indicate, that the "standard" seems to encompass the pitch range. But to be honest, there is no way you could have a 70 degree pitch??? - hence not sure what your numbers mean. Of course, I've just come back from an afternoon of liquid excess, so brain cells are not on there best form anyway!!! :-)

Diamond geezer 500 Club

IVOPROP

Sorry, I meant that the "high pitch" version is that which is normally used on "our type" aircraft and Ultralights.

17 degrees pitch (as on the other aircraft quoted) on 52 inch dia prop equates to 35.5 INCHES of pitch at 75% diameter

Thus outside the low pitch version....
    (Ivo pitch range quoted in inches.. not degrees.)

The old Precision 52" prop on my 503 was "approved" at 50 inches of pitch which equates to 22.2 degrees at 75%

Liquid excess is my norm........ every day!:-)

IVOPROP

Cheers! :-) A Sunday session certainly makes Monday a long day!

Thanks Wally, at least I'm in the right area. Interesting to see the pitch differences between the two.

Looking at the 17 degrees (35.5 at 75% as you say) - is way different to the precision (22.2) - I suppose this is due to the fatter blade on the precision, thus the ivo needs more pitch to obtain the same thrust.

What do you think of the IVO?

Diamond geezer 500 Club

IVOPROP

1 thing to remember is that Monday is always shorter than Tuesday....... providing the "liquid excess" is maintained............ and so on ad infinitum.............. or until the Distillery is dry:-)

The second thing to remember is that the Ivo, is designed to flex at speed/under load. Thus, arguably, static pitch is not 100% relevant. For example a 72 inch diameter Ivo "requires" 5 inch clearance behind the tips.

3rd thing to remember is that it is very easy to assemble the blades back to front.... thus not fantastic performance!.................. hence always assemble the prop early on Sunday mornings:-)

I am quite happy with my Ivo.... and it is SO easy to ground adjust compared with the precision (although I adjust to achieve max revs, rather than any actual pitch) .
    Early Ivos did have a problem with movement of the blades.. overcome by the later design of knurled hub and dispensing with the aluminium tube inserts at mounting holes.

If you buy new, they will cut the prop to any diameter you require, down to 48" dia (all blades are initially for 72" dia), but easy to cut down yourself.

Not tried any other props so can't really compare it's efficiency..... suffice it to say I operate my C-D from a 200M strip getting airborne between 50 and 75M (admittedly on an 8% slope) (solo) and if thrashed can "cruise" at 80/85 knots

Hope it helps Hic..... yet another empty bottle of Glenfidich........ if only they sold Jeroboams :rofl:

IVOPROP

Hi Wally, What was the problem with 'movement of the blades'? I have a couple of old-style IVOs (shim adjustment method), and am puzzled by that.
    Dave

Diamond geezer 500 Club

IVOPROP

I believe it relates to the early "quick adjust" types, not the shim type
    Ivo Service bulletins# 1 to 4 refer
    partial quote
    Purpose: To detect blade movement inside the hub due to improper installation and, or harmonic resonance between prop and power plant. To prevent further flight if this situation is detected and develops in unsafe condition (Aluminium bushings inside the blades becoming loose, breaking bolts, blades etc..)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast