Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to the Self Declaration Medical system - 25 August 2016

Changes to the Self Declaration Medical system - 25 August 2016

Guide from the LAA mag which plays down the 'past history' bit.
    http://www.lightaircraftassociation....ws/medical.pdf
    Dave

Mike Sands wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyn Pemberton
    Peter Banks said

[I've just submitted my on line declaration......and had no response at all.
    Does anyone know if it's an automated reply?
    Or a manual one?]

I've just done mine and got an instant automated response to confirm that it had been received and an email would be sent attaching a copy of the completed form. Email received seconds later, complete with attachment to reveal that the CAA complete the first 2 empty boxes on the form with a reference number and date and time of application.

Only snag is that upon further checking of the returned form I had failed to tick the last box thus rendering the form invalid. Doh!!!. I will have to resubmit to correct the error. Hope I won't have any issues doing this.

I found it quite a faff to complete as I first tried to fill out the form in Chrome .... all fields apart from the optional CAA reference number one were accessible BUT the "SUBMIT" button didn't function.

Opening the form in Explorer I found that the fields were not accessible to be completed. Had to save the form to my PC as a pdf and then reopen. On the opened file from my PC had to select the 3 dots in top RHS of screen and select "open in internet explorer" before form could be completed. All then worked but the CAA reference field was still not available for inputting to.
    peter - the box you didn't tick is that 'insane' one that Colonel Cathcart might have designed - in effect it's ticking a box to confirm that you weren't lying when you ticked the box above. I would sign the form Washington Irving if I were you then send in another one as Irving Washington.

(and yes I got the same response as you with their reference numbers filled in - do you think this constitutes everything we need or is it just a copy of an 'application to self declare' That really would be Catch 22)
    Mike
    Mike, I think that the returned form constitutes everything we need as the instructions that accompanied the CAA message after submitting the form state to print off the returned form and fold it to fit within the CAA plastic wallet that contains your license.

PS I resubmitted the application with all the boxes ticked this time, under the same name. No problems all that is different is the reference no and date and time of application.

Dave Morton wrote:
    Rick said ...

I have sent them the declaration by email. No response to date. The arrangements do not appear to require acknowledgement - I have sent it to them and I will not be doing anything further.[/quote]

I would pursue a response Rick as without acknowledgement it could be deemed under the ANO that no medical is in place and therefore insurance is void, (first hand experience of this situation)
    cheers, Dave[/quote]
    Hi again Dave

I took your advice and phoned the CAA this afternoon to make sure that my email request was in their system. A very nice lady (Stephanie) confirmed that they had it and the form has been properly completed but they needed to make an IT change which enables them to click the "submit" button on requests of this kind.

I too have had great difficulty in getting the form to submit on completion. Tried all the methods suggested on the form and the only one that worked was my wife's mac, and then only by saving it and sending in an email. I have no idea if it was received as yet but will it be that everyone has to follow it up with a phone call just to make sure its arrived. Still it all helps the cost of going to have a haircut as after this and the radio change over I will have none left.

Mick Pollard

Just a heads up guys. If you can find a way to do the damage WITHOUT installing bloody Adobe on a Mac, do it. It's bloody impossible to shift!
    Tips welcome BTW.

not real name 100 Club

Had a response from the CAA re inability 'to submit' they advise that the submit button works when using internet explorer.

Senior Member 500 Club

I have been told by the CAA Chief Medical Officer that stress does not constitute a phyciatric disorder and so any pilot who has had treatment for stress, including being prescribed medication, is not affected by the new requirements. Additionally, although my reading of the form suggests that pilots holding a pre 25 August Declaration are retrospectively subject to the prohibited conditions I am told that this is not so. This means that all pre 25 August Declarations are valid until their expiry date. I hope to have more news later in the week.

Hmmmm .... in a way Geoff your post is quite depressing as it seems to confirm that CAA did not make some kind of mistake in creating this form. So either they planned this all along and the consultation exercise led us into a false sense of security. Or they were planning to implement it the way we believed, made a mistake and now can't correct it without looking totally pratts.
    Anyway - I went flying today because I have signed the declaration. But if I get one of those disqualifying conditions I think I will just retire from flying and I suspect quite a few other older pilots will choose to do the same.
    Mike

Ah well at least the stress caused by this disruption to our flying is not included in the new requirements.

I await the outcome later this week with extreme interest. I hope it will be the postive progress noted by Geoff on the 3rd September. Its only a few weeks until my existing medical expires.

I hope that full clarification will come in a message from the CAA and not an interpretation of what they mean or what someone thinks they mean.

Geoff Weighell wrote: I have been told by the CAA Chief Medical Officer that stress does not constitute a phyciatric disorder and so any pilot who has had treatment for stress, including being prescribed medication, is not affected by the new requirements.
    Like others have said - there should be absolutely no ambiguity in this declaration. This suggests a poor choice of wording by the CAA. Bearing in mind there is no counter-signature that means that there is no double checking of interpretation. The last thing you want is your interpretation being questioned when it's too late - i.e. after an accident when your insurance is in question.

The form should have zero ambiguity (or as close to it as is realistically possible within the bounds of the English language) - if there is ambiguity then who will be the overall arbiter if there is a disagreement?

Thanks again Geoff - your work on this is surely appreciated by all.

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast