Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to the Self Declaration Medical system - 25 August 2016

Senior Member 500 Club

Changes to the Self Declaration Medical system - 25 August 2016

There are significant changes being made to the self declaration medical system. These come into effect on 25th August 2016. Please go the news item linked below to find out more.
    http://www.bmaa.org/news_item.php?wnID=11035

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Here is the new medical declaration http://goo.gl/N3cmzI

Senior Member 500 Club

Thanks Donald

Diamond geezer 500 Club

It seems that some pilots presently allowed to fly solo on a Group 1 declaration will now have to apply for LAPL medical. So while this new scheme benefits a large group of pilots, it is bad news for some.

Edited to add: the form has not been officially launched, so it could change.

Hello
    So what does this mean for student pilots? Sorry Donald could not open your link.
    Sparrow

Diamond geezer 500 Club

It's been pulled. We need to wait for the official launch.

I have printed out the form that was briefly available on line. Hopefully it will be amended to allow Group1 pilots to continue to fly without a full medical. I will be checking it closely.
    However I suspect that it may be problems with completing it on line and issues regaring the types of brousers being used.

Robert Whitton wrote: .
    However I suspect that it may be problems with completing it on line and issues regaring the types of brousers being used.
    worked perfectly fine for me...

Diamond geezer 500 Club

worked ok for me this morning.. not now

"No item exists for your search criteria."

Hi Geoff

If these proposals go ahead as per the briefly displayed self declaration form with all of its disqualifying conditions then it will mean that instead of looking forward to being able to fly my family in the back seat I face the prospect of being grounded along with i suspect many other pilots of all types of GA flying.
    It is completely erroneous if not willfully deceitful to refer to DVLA Group 1, private driving medical standards, when the "restrictions/disqualifiers imposed elevate the standard to Group 2, Professional driving and possibly above. To satisfy these disqualifying condition as they stand would easily mean that you would meet the Group 2 medical requirements for DVLA.
    There are varying criteria in the DVLA medical requirements that determine fitness to drive and even if there is a need to notify DVLA of the condition but the CAA make no recognition of this or that many health condition are perfectly manageable and potentially safer than for those people who are unaware of possible debilitating conditions lurking in the background.
    I suspect that this would have a fairly substantial effect on membership of the BMAA (already the subject of a lengthy thread on this forum) and other GA representative bodies as there is the potential to ground many existing pilots and seriously impact the pool of potential future pilots and members as it appears that many people come into this hobby/sport in later life when the financial burdens of homemaking, raising children, school/university fees etc. have lessened and there is more likelihood that some of these disqualifying factors have raised their head.
    It may also substantially impact on the potential pool of prospective students for flying schools as it I suspect many would be deterred by the fact many would have to take the route of a full LAPL medical with an AME and the expenses this would incur.

Anxiously awaiting the final outcome of this and hoping that the BMAA is making some serious representation to the CAA on this subject.

Regards
    Alwyn

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast