Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Changes to the Self Declaration Medical system - 25 August 2016

not real name, Please Contact Admin 100 Club

Changes to the Self Declaration Medical system - 25 August 2016

Sorry if it's posted on here and I've missed it,I've just filled in and sent,will I be informed that they have received it,I did it online

You should get the form emailed back to you with a CAA reference number filled in. Mine arrived almost instantly - maybe it takes longer when submitted on a weekend?

Dave Nixon wrote: Sorry if it's posted on here and I've missed it,I've just filled in and sent,will I be informed that they have received it,I did it online
    I believe that it is an automated process so time of day and weekends should make no difference. Email response should be received almost instantly. Note that you must use Internet Explorer to complete the form as stated in the instructions or it won't work.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Just to reinforce Glyn's post... I recently "completed" the form with Google Chrome.... appeared to be sent ok.... no response.. tried again using Microshite Edge.. same thing... looked as if it was sent ok... no response... finally used I.Explorer and got an "instant" response... all on the same computer and ips..
    The wonders of Modern science:-(

Senior Member 500 Club

Does anybody still use Explorer?

Somewhere between 10% and 20% of desktops depending on who you believe.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Guess that figures... the CAA in their infinite wisdom have designed application forms which "cannot easily" be submitted by 80% to 90% of the population:-)

Tbere are other (lazy) firms. Anyone who uses Lloydslink will have to use internet explorer And probably even an old version as Lloyds can't be bothered to test it with other popular browsers. However that does provide opportunities for others, and Browserstack lets you run internet explorer within a Google Chrome window. It used to be free for your average punter but they need to make money so now you need a subscription I think. It's a godsend for me as I was having to run microsoft windows alongside my Apple operating system on my macbook air. This was taking up tons of space. Bowserstack let me stick with purely Apple stuff (but they are just as annoying)
    Mike

Hi all I'm hoping you can help or point me in the right direction. I seem to be hopelessly going round in circles. I read up and spoke to AME and everything suggested that as a Type1 (insulin dependent) Diabetic that wishes to fly microlights on an NPPL (no greater than 2000KG MTOM) self declaration was fine and a LAPL Class 2 was not required. I have read the guidlines on the self declaration and submitted it.

It is only upon doing so that I stumble upon a document, date Jan 2015, saying that diabetics need a DVLA group 2 license to fly with passengers. Now I'm panicking that I've apparently 'lied' on my form and also that I'm not going to be able to carry passengers once I pass. I'm a little bit frustrated with it all to be honest.

Can anyone enlighten me with regards to microlight flying with diabetes please? Or does anyone have a contact number where I can call for advice?

EDIT: Possibly good news. The pilotswithdiabetes site is obviously painfully outdated now. I've just found a whole 'by condition' section on the CAA site, and have found v5 (2018) of Diabetes Certification Guidance PDF, here: https://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/...20Material.pdf

From this, section 6:

Quote Originally Posted by 6) Medical Assessment for UK National Private Pilots’ Licence (NPPL)
    UK pilots who wish to exercise the privileges of a NPPL flying aircraft less than 5700kg MTOM must visit an AME and apply for a LAPL medical certificate. Those who wish to exercise the privileges of a NPPL flying aircraft no greater than 2000kg MTOM may self-declare their fitness as long as they meet and continue to meet the requirements (including the DVLA blood glucose testing schedule).
    Last edited by Harry Marshall; 10th January 2019 at 09:15.

Senior Member 100 Club
    If in doubt, go to the BMAA. That's what they're there for. https://www.bmaa.org/information-library/contact-us

I haven't time this morning to double check, but as I recall it your declaration translates into everyday English as 'you don't have any condition which would prevent you getting a group 2 DVLA licence if you were to apply for one'. You don't have to actually hold such a licence to make the declaration.

Joan
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    GR examiner and TST pilot.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast