Thread: Brazilian Feedback on V-Twin 990cc

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Brazilian Feedback on V-Twin 990cc

Kleber Alvez Adorno lives in Saˇ Paolo, Brazil, and has been buying reduction drives to the same drawings I did for Ace Aviation for G-KEVA's Briggs 627cc motor

It has enough spare capability to handle the bigger 990 cc or 61" series Briggs, known as the Vanguard Big Block on their website

https://www.vanguardengines.com/eu/en_gb/product-catalog/engines/big-block-v-twin-horizontal-shaft/vanguard-350-gross-hp-efi.html

It can be ordered with a higher rev limit of 4,750rpm (which will be conservative) and with low compression pistons lollops along at 35hp; various upgrades are available off the shelf, although you can't admit to Briggs it is for aviation use. Even EFI is available

Kleber has taken the lightweight 627cc Briggs motor I used and bolted twin Honda CV carbs on, getting good results without all the tuning and special cam, raised compression and advanced ignition.

He really seems to know his stuff, in a third-world sort of way, achieving a single seater trike motor at lower cost and using only basic workshop facilities.

His next project is to try installing twin carbs on the bigger 990cc unit to fly a two-seater trike, here's some photos, hope he succeeds; an American two seater hasn't the weight limits of a FAR103 or SSDR trike, however now the weight limit in the UK is 300kg, it makes you wonder....

Cheers

Kev

Attached files

Senior Member 100 Club

Do you have any idea of the output that Kleber is achieving with just the carb replacement?
    That is a particularly attractive option, as it allows the small starter to be retained and presumably eliminates any problem related to excess stress in the hot cam.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Kev Armstrong wrote:
    https://www.vanguardengines.com/eu/e...ss-hp-efi.html

It can be ordered with a higher rev limit of 4,750rpm (which will be conservative) and with low compression pistons lollops along at 35hp; various upgrades are available off the shelf, although you can't admit to Briggs it is for aviation use. Even EFI is available.
    Thanks for the tip - will see if it has percolated down to the big para-trike makers at this year's St Hilaire.

Kev Armstrong wrote: Kleber has taken the lightweight 627cc Briggs motor I used and bolted twin Honda CV carbs on, getting good results without all the tuning and special cam, raised compression and advanced ignition.
    It would be interesting to see if anyone else does it and dyno tests..... it would be nice to see EFI and 4,750 on the smaller one, but that's unlikely as it would impact sales of the bigger one at lower power ratings, I think....

A 4,750 version of the smaller one could almost ideal, off the shelf....

Been quiet Kev. Are you anywhere near flying again?
    Dave

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Interesting that just changing the carb(s) can make so much difference to the power output. I remember years ago, the VW Beetle was greatly enhanced by fitment of the Reece Fish carburettor (Google it to see what it is) which increased power by 25% on its own, with no other changes to the engine. Apart from anything else, the carb design was such that it could be used in either horizontal or vertical fitment purely by rotating the float chamber.

Best regards,

Bob Hood

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Apologies for my previous post,

I forgot to point out that the Fish carb normally used on the VW's was the Minnow Fish. Here's a link to a pdf of a press release about it.

http://www.historicvws.co.uk/technical/minnow_fish_carb/minnow_fish.htm

This and the Reece Fish carb were both based on an American Fish carb design that was much bigger, and not really suitable for our much smaller engined cars.

Here's a link to some more information about the Reece Fish carb.

http://home.signsofsuccess.co.nz/fish.php

Best regards,

Bob Hood

Kev what are the two plastic drive gears for Looks like one may be oil pump ? don't think I would want plastic in crucial area if that is what it is.