Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablet for flying with.

Senior Member 500 Club

Tablet for flying with.

Ruling out Apples due to cost, I am looking for a seven inch tablet to use as a replacement for an Aware. AirspaceAvoid is my preferred programming and I would probably use the phone for GPS backup with Bluetooth. Others are probably doing the same. I do not want a labour making device, have no wish to learn Unix, Linux or Mac andarin to operate it and I would sooner spend the dosh on mogas. Battery life and GPS performance are the key features, I guess. What are people's weapons of choice, please?

Administrator AdminSettling in

Tablet for flying with.

Tesco Hudl 2 is an inexpensive option although only available 2nd hand now. I run skydemon on mine with excellent results. They have build in GPS so no need for a Bluetoothed phone

Tablet for flying with.

when I was looking for a tab the Google Nexus 7 2013 - 16GB was recommended, (GPS enabled and only 99 from argos). It has a very good battery life and is extremely good in sunlight in the flex, I'm running skydemon. With regards to the gps signal we've recently had trips from my base in Notts to Glenforsa and the Scillies and the tab performed faultlessly.

Senior Member 500 Club

Tablet for flying with.

Thanks guys. I had a bad experience with a hudl2 but the Nexus was one I had considered so that is what I shall get. Thanks!

Tablet for flying with.

you could also get a 2nd hand ipad mini the problem you would have buying a tablet using bluetooth is the battery drain the Ipad on a full charge will run skydemon for around 8 to 10 hours cant comment on the Nexus as I only had it for around 3 days before the wife nicked it.

Tablet for flying with.

I have been using a nexus 7 (original version). It works well, but now getting a bit long in the tooth and various software updates (including Skydemon updates) means it's now running quite slow. Having said that once Skydemon is loaded up and grabbed all the info it needs - then it's great.

7in is just the right size in my view. I have used my phone (galaxy s6), which is fine but the screen is a little small for all that detail and the aircraft moving around in the bumps!

Senior Member 500 Club

Tablet for flying with.

Well, I bought the Nexus with the big memory from Argos and it is currently updating to the same OS as my phone. For the first time I have two co.mpatible devices! Thanks all

ArthurG2

Tablet for flying with.

Nexus 7 for me, and phone as backup.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Tablet for flying with.

Don't forget the little 7" ASUS tablet, cheaper than the Nexus and GPS equipped, son bought one for 30 from Tescos, worth a punt

Strip everything you can off it, all the manufacturer guff, spend an evening on Google finding out what you can stop, disable and uninstall, here's a handy link

http://technology.onehowto.com/article/how-to-delete-default-apps-on-android-without-rooting-4305.html

Disable Twitter and Facebook, stuff like that, you can always access them on your phone

I only use Memory-Map though, preferring to de-automate stuff that should have attention paid to them in pre flight planning, such as NotAms and route

Cheers

Kev

Incidentally, just brought a useless iPad my lady uses for recipes back from the dead (one with big data/charge connector) by following this:-
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ipad/how-speed-up-ipad-tips-tricks-3632709/

Maybe useful with navigation iPads too?

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Tablet for flying with.

For what it is worth have been using a couple of cheapo 7" Chinese Android Phablets with a variety of nav software

1. a 7" Excelvan... works well, but internal gps receiver /output poor and TFT display not good in cockpit (Shadow).. even with a non reflective cover and shroud
    2. a 7" Colorfly G708.... IPS OGS display... bright enough to use in all but direct sunlight.......... until I dropped it and cracked the touch screen... no replacement touch screen available as the European version is different:-(

1 point to beware of, cheapo tablets/phablets often use early versions of Android (I suggest 4.4.2 is the earliest version to be useful off the shelf) which may or may not work with your nav software and use poor GPS receivers giving a poor NMEA output which although positional data is ok, they can certainly give altitude errors of up to 300 feet (no matter what the moving map software). (although I am sure we all use a baro altimeter:-)
    Much better to use a dedicated external gps receiver (assuming your moving map software will accept it)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast