Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Anniston espouses SSDR philosophy

Jennifer Anniston espouses SSDR philosophy

Just heard her say (in the Emirates advert) in response to a kid saying 'when I'm a pilot you'll be able to fly round the world very fast'
    'Oh that's a shame", says Jennifer " it's so nice up here".
    Ben and Paul said to me that they never really understood the race to get from one clubhouse to another in the minimum of time and spend most of your day on the ground rather than actually in the air.
    Mike

I remember landing on Bute 35 minutes after the hotship had landed and being asked sarcastically where I had been for said 35 minutes and I replied smugly FLYING
    I do however see the place for said hotships namely trying to get back from Oban into a 35 to 40 mph headwind dooable in a 90mph+ machine not a hope in hell in a 582 powered 55mph one

Well personally I would not want to be flying in a 35 - 40mph headwind (or tailwind) over the Scottish mountains in anything.
    AndyB

Bit of a duff argument really. You can still fly as long if you want to, just you can get further.
    'Hot ship' fliers still do as many, if not more hours (due to larger weather window).

been there and done it Andy all you need is to make sure you are well above hill height and stay well away from the lee side of the hills also crossed the Irish sea when it was blowing 35.
    Andy F you are 100% correct in that the weather window is larger but there are a lot of pilots out there that very rarely travel anymore than 75miles away from their home airfields.
    There are a few up here who travel to Bute and no farther but own machines capable of flights to the south coast and then the opposite end of the spectrum one lad from Strathaven who flew his flexwing to the faroes and did another trip to lands end and back in one day.

I take your point Andy but when I had my Blade which could cruise at 60 I only really went 45 miles in either direction (Eshott or Baxby) and was strangely pleased when it took me only 35 minutes. I did do a trip round Scotland once and the Isle of Wight thing once. When I have done Eshott or Baxby in the Dragonfly it's meant probably 4 hours in the air and an hour on the ground and pretty knackered when I got home. But most of my flying is for an hour around my home airfield
    Mike

not real name 500 Club

I have a foot in both camps here. I enjoy flying, not simply travelling. To arrive somewhere is satisfying, but the journey is as important, if not more so. Flying in straight lines isn't really for me; I like to feel the air under the wings and I really enjoy floating along at low level, really breathing in the view and perspective. But there comes a point where one wishes to take in new views, land at unfamiliar airfields, float along over new sights and experience new perspectives. This is when I enjoy being able to fly a bit faster, to get to a new area of interest quicker, then ease off and have more time to explore that area. When flying my Mercury, it would take about 2.5 - 3h flying to reach Bute or Gigha and the same return, with a 1h stop on one leg for fuel (or both legs if flying two up). Very enjoyable and perfectly do-able. Now, it takes 1h 20m and no fuel stop. This opens up the possibility to go farther, explore more places in the same given flying time. Andy's point about the weather window is good too. When cruising at 50, a 30 headwind will ruin your day, not so if cruising at 80.

David - Two points. I concluded after about 10 years of occasionally flying further afield that I didn't like the stress. It wasn't the stress of flying, it was the stress of not being able to fly (or get back). I remember landing at Spamfield and immediately fretting about which day and time to depart because of weather windows.
    Second point: One of my intentions in buying a Dragonfly was that I could put it in my car - drive to Oban and do those same flights you are talking about but with a guarantee I could get home. However despite me knowing that Ben can derig and load the car in less than 90 minutes my time was more like 4 hours. I have thought about buying one of their simpler models as mine as the topless wing and the fully faired trike, but to be honest rigging and derigging is one of those irrational hates of mine. In truth does it matter that it would take me an hour to rig my aircraft - what else would I be doing with my spare time if I wasn't rigging it - probably having a coffee in our clubroom.
    Mike

I'm with Mike on the get-home stress.
    90 minutes?? 4 hours?? Jesus, what have flexwings become? Back in the day of trailered Flashes, XL/Qs and Ravens, we'd reckon on arrival to pre-flighting in 20-30 minutes. As for landing to driving away; similar; or even less if it was getting close to kitchen closure time down at the pub... Mind we were younger then. Has rigging got more complicated?
    Dave

well the topless Combat wing is complicated Dave - millions more battens but it's the faff with the struts that used to nail me and why I gave up derigging.
    Of course if you have a trailer then the rigging time for the trike is nil, but the Dragonfly used to fit inside my Lexus saloon car on the backseat. But in order to do that there was a fair bit of origami involved. The beauty though is of course that you can cruise to your destination at 80mph as long as you are confident about the wing not sailing off into the distance from the roof rack
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast