Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jennifer Anniston espouses SSDR philosophy

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Jennifer Anniston espouses SSDR philosophy

IF I can crack the reliability thing with the Briggs engine, the Magic SSDR Cyclone is a viable tourer; went down to Spamfield in one hop using 23.6 litres in 3.75 hours from Beverley, trouble is the camshaft broke at 160 hours, and I made a complete hash of the forced landing. Although the cam is now reinforced with a steel bar down the middle (copied from an American supplier, and you can buy billet steel versions from them for absolute reassurance) it will be a little while before confident longer trips will be the norm.

On the way back hit a 20mph headwind and averaged 40mph 250 miles back up country, that was like watching paint dry...

This complicated rigging thing is a bit secondary; out of the bag took 1.5 hours as this was the first time in six months after the prang, but for a small investment a rigging trolley means the wing wheels out a low door hangar completely intact, and timed to flyable condition is around six or seven minutes without breaking sweat. give it two or three more to set camera and GPS up and it's engine start time.

Once watched the video of the top of the range Dragonfly trike being assembled, with all the sexy little glass fibre parts it seemed to be a lengthy and complicated process, definitely that model is best wheeled out of a hangar as is as it looks fabulous but needs time to set up; you can see why they went over to the simpler Fox Cub version for touring with a de rigged trike and wing, or for those without hangarage.

If Paul Bailey had not parked the V-Twin development the Dragonfly would be the Ducati of trikes, as it would take a faster wing and be the SSDR capable of getting to, and touring (say) France without being trailered at all. Read about an Alize trike with the Swissauto 250 four stroke doing 2,200km, so it is feasible

Kev

Had my Ace Cyclone in the air a couple of weeks back...Dave S was there .....the standing joke was that it was a single seat trike that took 8 people to rig!
    The main problem was that I was unfamiliar with it. I am now making a couple of simple rigging aids (keel extensions like a Quik, and a ground anchor to the front of the trike to keep it stable) which should make it a 1 person job to rig out of the bag in maybe 30 minutes.
    The Cyclone gives me a 55-60mph machine with 503 rotax and 4hr duration, with reasonable storage capacity. I will still need a trailer, but the trike is so light it is easy for one person to load and unload - personally I would not like the trike / engine / fuel in my car.
    A strutted wing would be nice but can be more of a hassle to rig from the bag than a conventional wing.
    So as Kev has shown, simple SSDR machines can give you the capability to tour.....or just fly locally
    AndyB

Senior Member 500 Club

Glad to hear you are back in the air, Kev. Wishing you reliability as Im sure we all do.

You're kidding - you're famous!

DEATH DEFYING PILOT SURVIVES TERRIFYING HORROR CRASH FROM 3000'

[quote=Kev Armstrong] and I made a complete hash of the forced landing.

Senior Member 500 Club

I think the problem is we have got richer,weaker and lazy in our old age and find a way around the hassle of de-rigging as the easy practical option so its slipped from the manufacturers agenda.

I had to go for the soft fairing fixed undercarriage version of the Dragon and then modified a few fixings and support before I could rig it with ease never mind about against the clock to make it work.

This also had to include detachable tank with dry connections and a carb drain to make sure you did not carry the left over fuel in the back of the car as well.

I have no idea how long it takes but I can get to the finish without sweat most days ;-)

As for distance, the air speed and direction I find is more than a passing interest ( just like the old days ) but it is surprising how far you can get and I constantly surprise the local proper plane people by arriving at some far flung airfield 1/2 hour after them used less fuel and seen a lot more. ;-)

SSDR - enjoy

Kev, its not if but when you sort your engine!

I did think the Chaser was the hardest wing to rig, ironically, until I spent an amusing and frustrating session with Andy B rigging the Cyclone... Lovely wing and trike, but needs work in the rigging department. I know Andy will sort the issues well. Fortunately, Kev A has made videos to help. We do seem to be going backwards.
    The Chaser was difficult after my Raven, which is perhaps the easiest of all wings to rig - assuming you don't lose a finger in the hang point... :-(

Dave

Senior Member 100 Club

Must admit, I find the cyclone straightforward to rig especially with the dragon trike having a telescopic front strut to make life easier. Not as simple as the single surface Fox wing with its 12 battons and lack of tension though.

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Sweet spot seems to be 60-80 range, did Spamfield in one hop in a Quik at 80mph, very impressed at the precision the factory at the time achieved in setting the cruise so accurately; later did it (one hop again) in that SSDR with home built Briggs at 60mph. SSDR took an hour longer but a lot less buffeting, although glad the Marshalls parked me next to the bogs...;-)

The compromises to get a Flexwing up above those speeds aren't all good ones; if you offered me a tour-able machine that did a solid 60-65mph and at a decent price and fuel range/burn (four stroke ideal) then that seems the level a Flexwing should be at. It's a bit like a Vespa or Lambretta, there are fundamental limitations but worth it for the price, easy storage and general useability

Cheers

Kev
    G-KEVA
    BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    First, the easy way to fix the early Magic silly rigging is to fit a Swan Catch to the back of the wing keel, this allows the basebar to swing 200mm further forwards, and pass the nose of the trike.

Lock the pylon into one piece and go for the later, conventional U - Strap hang point, it's easier than rigging a Quik then in fact, a lot simpler too.

All you have to do is carry the wing out and pop the trike front wheel over the basebar.

Finally for the ultimate in ease and convenience, knock up a simple rigging trolley so you can bool the wing sideways, happy to send the drawings to anyone interested, also have one stored now and no long used...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcsHH-PpGxM
    G-KEVA
    BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12