Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparking plug washers.

Senior Member 500 Club

Sparking plug washers.

I read recently that for engines with a cht probe beneath the plug, one ought to remove the washer. It makes sense to me. I could get better starting but I don't want to burn a piston. Any opinions?

Junior Member Settling in

Sparking plug washers.

Is the washer not there to ensure an airtight seal and ensure it stays in place to potentially prevent it loosening, can't comment on probe etc, but the plug would probably sit slightly lower in its seat so don't know if that would be better or not, I suppose if the probe did the job of the washer etc it would be right to remove to keep the plug in same position as it was supposed to be in, no doubt some one will have the proper tech answer,

Regards

Chris

Senior Member 500 Club

Sparking plug washers.

I would have thought so too, but a couple of sources suggest differently. I suppose the aluminium fitting doubles as a sealing washer.

not real name, Please Contact Admin 100 Club

Sparking plug washers.

I had also heard of removing the crush washer on the plug(s) being used for CHT sensors so as I had a few minutes, I looked it up.

The Installation Manual for the more popular Rotax 2-strokes available here: http://docusearch.flyrotax.com/files/pdf/d00287.pdf does not seem to indicate that is the case on pages 50 and 59 of the 68 page document. There's no mention either, in my Simonini Victor 2 engine handbook.

Another old wife's tale exposed!

Senior Member 500 Club

Sparking plug washers.

It makes no mention of it, certainly, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Senior Member 500 Club

Sparking plug washers.

If you want my humble opinion its to leave the washer on the plug.

The plug washer is designed to seal and the CHT probe is designed to get hot.

It will make no difference to the compression or the plug.

If you leave the washer out and the plug leaks then the plug will run hot and loosen off until its loose enough to blow out when you should concentrate on the big field below ;-)
    ( after all its a two stroke )

Senior Member 500 Club

Sparking plug washers.

Of course I want your opinion. Compression is not the issue. Position of the spark in the combustion chamber is as if it can be optimised, the engine runs better and lasts longer. A millimetre is significant in this regard so I am interested to know for sure.

Senior Member 500 Club

Sparking plug washers.

Hi Tom,

If you are concerned about the position of the spark as its a Rotax I would look at the different track records of the twin spark to the single spark engines as the easiest way of seeing a physical difference.

If you run a twin spark with one plug not firing then you get a power drop so proving your point that it matters for performance. Less performance means less heat and less load on the components so from a life point of view it should last longer everything else being equal.
    If you look at the torque curve for a twin spark to a single spark head if there is a difference its shown in favour of the single spark. Theory would suggest that this is what to expect.
    All these observations are on a lot bigger changes in position than 1mm.

Then there is the mixture strength giving different burn rates which if the power output is to go by would lead to greater changes inside the engine than 1mm on the plug position and so have a greater effect on the life and performance of the engine.

My Rotax 503 is a twin spark version because I wanted the oil injection but run with a single spark head just on one set of coils. It saves about 1.5Kg in weight and gives the best power and because its lost its points has better reliability. Its been running forever and best fuel can be down to 3.5Ltrs /H in comps.
    These changes are possible because its SSDR

Its running platinum plugs which just means they last longer with a small increase in clean running. I have in the past played with different types of plug and different positions and the differences are very small together with the variations on the spark timing well in excess of 1mm.

Hope this helps.

Added

This is still only my humble opinion and you are correct to pursue advice until you are happy and confident as its you as pilot who is responsible for the condition of your plane and its suitable for flight.

Safe flying

Senior Member 100 Club

Sparking plug washers.

"Less performance means less heat and less load on the components so from a life point of view it should last longer everything else being equal."

It does not follow that reduced performance means less heat or load, nor longer life. When we know that the fueling is the same, we can reasonably conclude that the fuel is not being burnt at the correct time or rate to produce power efficiently. With a single spark, it is likely that combustion is occurring over a longer period, continuing to heat the piston face and the edge of the exhaust port.

"If you look at the torque curve for a twin spark to a single spark head if there is a difference its shown in favour of the single spark."

What is it that is considered 'favourable' about the torque curve for the single plug engine?

Senior Member 500 Club

Sparking plug washers.

I would agree with Peter. Igniting the mixture in two places causes the burn to be faster but the torque produced greater because the energy is pushing the crown of the piston down with greater pressure, I would have thought. As he says, optimising the burn is better because it reduces bore wash,cold seizures and other nasties. If two sparks improve the combustion then you are getting more power per cc of fuel. Placing the spark in the right place optimises the flame front and, most importantly to me the starting which, despite a new ignition block remains either brilliant or a five minute ordeal, not helped by only having a short distance available for string pulling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast