Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MF Foundation donations

MF Foundation donations

I was pleased to receive a note from Stuart Buchanan that the Foundation pledges he organised raised a total of 931 in the year to 31 August.

You will recall that these took the form of pilots pledging an amount per flying hour to be donated to the Microlight Flying Foundation, a charity which I set up a couple or so years ago to raise money for bursaries and for our build-a -plane projects.

One of the reasons I set up the MFF was that I thought that the generosity of microlight pilots could be mobilised to raise significant funding for these projects rather than leaving them to be financed out of BMAA members' funds. On the basis that we have more than 3,000 members, the amount raised equates to less than 30 pence a head, so hardly an exhibition of major generosity. There are many who are happy to come on here and spout off about all issues ranging from safety to training to touring and yet seem unable to support this very worthy cause which should advance these things.

Come on folks - let's make a fuerther and greater effort to support this endeavour more seriously. Stuart has put a lot into organising this pledge campaign and deserves your support in return. I was always slightly uneasy about using BMAA money for financing bursaries (as I knew that not everyone supported the idea and there was no democratic vote on whether it should be done that way) and that is partly why I set up the Microlight Flying Foundation in the first place.

Details of how to pledge can be obtained from the BMAA/MFF and I am sure will be featured in MF magazine again this year.

Let's not reinforce any belief that microlighters are tight fisted gits!

Rick Goddin
    Founder, MFF

MF Foundation donations

Or alternatively anyone wanting to learn to fly can do as we all had to do and pay for the training.The build a plane guys could get someone who wants an airplane can afford said plane but does not have the necessary motor skills to build it, buy said kit and hey presto get building.
    Nothing to do with being tight fisted or gits I have never had anything handed to me for free I like most others actually have to graft for my money and therefore wont be handing it out I am sick to the back teeth of begging bowls on street corners and now we are getting it on the forum

MF Foundation donations

William Russell wrote: Or alternatively anyone wanting to learn to fly can do as we all had to do and pay for the training.The build a plane guys could get someone who wants an airplane can afford said plane but does not have the necessary motor skills to build it, buy said kit and hey presto get building.
    Nothing to do with being tight fisted or gits I have never had anything handed to me for free I like most others actually have to graft for my money and therefore wont be handing it out I am sick to the back teeth of begging bowls on street corners and now we are getting it on the forum
    A form is on its way to you, William

MF Foundation donations

now now Richard giving out personal details on a forum is naughty

MF Foundation donations

William Russell wrote: now now Richard giving out personal details on a forum is naughty
    The information is public on G-INFO but there is a forum rule about giving out addresses.

I'm not sure that mentioning only your settlement constitutes an address but for the avoidance of doubt I have edited the post.

Very happy to include a stamped envelope for you to return the form so as to minimise your costs.

Senior Member 500 Club

MF Foundation donations

Lemme get this right.

Over 900 has been raised for charity. Yep, got that bit.

It isn't enough and you are tight fisted gits.

On behalf of Rick, whose manners seem a bit lacking this morning, Thank you for your contributions.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

MF Foundation donations

Whilst we can argue about the politics of donation and whether it is deserved or not, it only seems fair to point out that Rick was instrumental in making the donations to the Foundation and therefore its objectives purely voluntary, rather than being financed directly from the BMAA's income.

His actions have given us a choice previously not available, the money was spent or not spent on the decision of Council.

I don't think we can be critical of him for asking us to exercise that choice.

It's therefore up to every individual to decide what the reasons for donation might be.

We often neglect our less than ideal demographic and ignore the massive effect positive PR can have on our sport which has a very negative profile amongst non flyers.

This is only my opinion, and Rick has given you the choice to have yours and to direct your money accordingly.

OTOH, Tom also makes some very good & valid points.

MF Foundation donations

Tom Sheppard wrote: Lemme get this right.

Over 900 has been raised for charity. Yep, got that bit.

It isn't enough and you are tight fisted gits.

On behalf of Rick, whose manners seem a bit lacking this morning, Thank you for your contributions.
    Nothing wrong with my manners. Best PS traditions as always.

There's no need to thank anyone on my behalf. I am not a beneficiary of the donations nor do I have any connection with the Foundation any more. I would have stayed with the project but that obviously was not the wish of our membership at the 2015 Council Election.

MF Foundation donations

In reference by William Russell to the build a plane ideas, I have worked my butt off setting up these projects and claim nothing for myself from it but cann get the help needed for these projects, I have a project currently being done at Ebbw Vale and desperately need people to go along and help to teach the students and help them with the build so if interested then call me first on 07830206284 and I will put you in touch with the guy that is doing it now.
    Lets hear those voices and put yourselves forward.

MF Foundation donations

Hi Terry
    Please don't think I was knocking you or the build a plane scheme I think it is a brilliant idea as it motivates young ones hopefully to come into aviation at no cost to them or bmaaa and as I stated a good way for someone who wants a homebuilt? to get it done with a little help from others.
    I also did not mean that you benefited personally from said builds but the scheme might benefit from a donation from said owner in respect of tools required to complete the builds etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast