Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Increasing the number of BMAA Members

Senior Member 500 Club

Increasing the number of BMAA Members

I understand that the PFA require every Member of PFA Permit syndicated aircraft be Members of the PFA.

Could I propose that BMAA rules be amended so that every Member of a BMAA syndicate aircraft is required to become a BMAA Member. I understand that at the moment BMAA Membership can only be encouraged, not mandated but perhaps the rules can be looked at?

Large groups are proliferating around the country taking advantage of low cost high performance hot ships and a number of these groups have large numbers of SEP pilots who have morphed over to the dark side but are not contributing to the very Organisation that is enabling them to fly faster and cheap(er) !!

Tony

not real name 500 Club

This would require a proposal at the AGM Tony.

You up for that?

Hello Jeremy and Rick,
    My two'penny worth on this, is somewhere in the middle perhaps, but as I remember it, when I was an examiner this was bestowed on you by the CAA along with the logbook rubber stamp... I remember feeling expected to check and stamp the logbook of anyone holding a CAA licence; I think I did it once for a 747 captain, though he flew a trike too, still does as it happens.
    But while I have been out of things for too many years, it sounds like from what you say Rick, that the BMAA now administers examiners as being their own... except probably still only on behalf of the CAA, which might make trying cut out selected CAA licence holders a little questionable?
    Just my thoughts,
    Mark P..........

Senior Member 500 Club

Cyberstitch (1595) wrote:
    This would require a proposal at the AGM Tony.

You up for that?
    Yes

I am in a 16 syndicate of a CT2K and not all of us have come via a BMAA route - some of the Members have come from SEP background and have no allegiance or understanding of the BMAA and what it has done to make flying such a machine so affordable. I made the proposal in our first meeting that all syndicate Members should join the BMAA but the Chairman said that he could only recommend it, not mandate it.

I am not looking to increase the flying costs of my group members but I guess that such syndicates are sprouting up all over the UK -there are three large syndicates at Barton - two C42's and a CT2K which potentially could amount to at least a dozen if not more new Members from just one airfield. Without the support of all syndicate Members the BMAA is doing a great job for no benefit and any benefit gained, will, in the long run, benefit all of those syndicate Members anyway.

This is not about competing with the PFA - this is just about ensuring that everyone who benefits from BMAA resources, contributes back to the BMAA Membership fund.

Senior Member 500 Club

Hi Rick - I have no axe to grind over this but let me give you an example of one of our syndicate. They have joined this group because their previous C150 group was a CofA aircraft and had inherently greater operating costs and less performance than they get now.
    The only reason that they can fly the CT so relatively cheaper is because it operates on a BMAA Permit.
    It really has nothing to do with them having one quarter, one sixth or one sixteenth of the enjoyment - it is about having access to relatively cheap to operate modern bits of kit and not recognising and contributing to the organisation that made it possible for that aircraft to fly in the UK.
    I don't think it is right that only one person in the syndicate need be a BMAA Member when all sixteen derive benefit gained through the BMAA from the very fact that the aircraft is flying in the UK.

Senior Member 500 Club

As it happens Andy - I'm not adding anymore to this. I thought it was a common sense point - it seemingly isn't - so I will withdraw from the debate.

Andy Turner wrote:
    It has been said that it is these type of discussions that often put off new members
    New members are the future of any organisation, and not to consider where they will come from is foolhardy.
    Andy, if you believe in what "has been said" then have the courage of your convictions and say so. Don't hide behind such a weak wishy washy comment. And Tony, why are you withdrawing from the debate just because someone disagrees with you? Good grief, what a bunch of wimps. What is the BMAA coming to? :devil:

Reminds me of a joke: my mate (hopefully there will still be one left after this post) asked me if I was a man or a mouse. A man I replied proudly - my wife is afraid of mice.

(Name and address withheld for obvious reasons. )

Senior Member 500 Club

I am withdrawing simply because I have made my point - I am not on the Council and I have said everything I need to and can do about this.

Rick,

I don't totally agree with you here. I personally don't care if there is a bit of cross subsidisation going on. I'm a BMAA member because I care about microlights and just because I might never personally submit a mod it doesn't mean I don't like to see it financially feasible for other members to do so. Equally, I don't enter competitions and am never likely to do so, but I'm happy to see a bit of my subscription being used for that because I think our sport is the richer for it.

I'm a cost accountant and spent my life analysing costs and revenues. I'd like to see our BMAA employees and council members focussing on real issues. Yes, we want more members, but having a detailed understanding of our cost breakdown won't help. Cost analysis and cost based pricing won't necessarily pull in more members, but real initiatives like BJ's Spamfield will.

I would hope that our CE and our treasurer have a broad handle on where our money is coming from and how it is being spent. I'm sure they have. As for the policy as to what they want to spend the money on, I trust the judgement of our council members - that is why I voted for them.

Good financial discipline has its place - but it is not the reason for our existence.

Paul

Banned Banned500 Club

Jeremy wrote:
    The question then is really about whether or not the BMAA wishes to encourage new microlights onto the market or not, particularly at the lower cost end.

Not the lower cost end admittedly, but wasn't that the justification for upping the allowable MTOW of two-seaters to 450kg? I recall being told that it was so that our designers and manufacturers could compete for the international market of an equal footing and we'd get lots of new British-designed aircraft selling all over Europe (or some such).

So clearly the BMAA does wish to encourage new microlights onto the market. The debate is about the method, is it not, and who pays, the association or the entrepreneur.
    Joan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast