Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MF Foundation donations

MF Foundation donations

William Russell wrote: Hi Terry
    Please don't think I was knocking you or the build a plane scheme I think it is a brilliant idea as it motivates young ones hopefully to come into aviation at no cost to them or bmaaa and as I stated a good way for someone who wants a homebuilt? to get it done with a little help from others.
    I also did not mean that you benefited personally from said builds but the scheme might benefit from a donation from said owner in respect of tools required to complete the builds etc.
    Have you now reconsidered your earlier comments about begging bowls then, William.

In a balanced and mature society we should all accept that we may be paying for things which others benefit from.

Good example is the NHS where the healthy pay for those who need expensive treatments. Mustn't also forget the huge subsidies paid by prosperous parts of England (and by the City in particular) to less well off parts of England, including Scotland, under so-called formulas which are actually handouts thinly disguised.

Senior Member 500 Club

MF Foundation donations

To be accurate "to less well off parts of England, including Scotland, " Scotland isn't a part of England.

MF Foundation donations

Geoff Weighell wrote: To be accurate "to less well off parts of England, including Scotland, " Scotland isn't a part of England.
    Thanks Geoff - I guess you agree with the rest of what I said then.

Didn't Scotland become part of England through the Act of Union?

MF Foundation donations

I'm with William on this one as I do not believe in any financial scheme to help youngsters obtain a licence because once obtained they are seldom in a position to maintain it due to the initial costs of living when your just "starting out" in life.
    Most sports that require a large capital outlay are mostly pursued by people with a disposable income and usually this is in the form of a person who has been on the path of life for a while.
    With regards to the build a plane I couldn't read anywhere that was criticising Terry or his work, in fact the suggestion (if this is feasible and not the way it is already done) of an owner obtaining a kit and having it built for him appears to have merit

MF Foundation donations

Dave Morton wrote: I'm with William on this one as I do not believe in any financial scheme to help youngsters obtain a licence because once obtained they are seldom in a position to maintain it due to the initial costs of living when your just "starting out" in life.
    Most sports that require a large capital outlay are mostly pursued by people with a disposable income and usually this is in the form of a person who has been on the path of life for a while.
    With regards to the build a plane I couldn't read anywhere that was criticising Terry or his work, in fact the suggestion (if this is feasible and not the way it is already done) of an owner obtaining a kit and having it built for him appears to have merit
    Dave - there certainly is unease along the lines of your post. Perhaps the BMAA should organise a Member vote to see whether the use of Membership money is justified for flight training subsidies?

This could lead to making it entirely voluntary through the Foundation and for the BMAA to stop taking these decisions without consultation.

How do people feel about this proposition?

Senior Member 500 Club

MF Foundation donations

Dave has a chillingly valid point. Recreational aviation is not for the young. Plenty of us took it up later in life than we would have liked because it costs a lot of money that was simply not available earlier. Sponsor a dozen kids to NPPL and how many will be able to afford to become instructors? None. Bursaries for aspiring professionals are another matter but for fun flying, sorry, this does not work.

Senior Member 500 Club

MF Foundation donations

I wonder if the monies raised would be better spent subsidising. Instructor candidates' exam fees?

Diamond geezer 500 Club

MF Foundation donations

Tom Sheppard wrote: Dave has a chillingly valid point. Recreational aviation is not for the young.
    ITYM microlighting as it currently stands is not for the young. Recreational aviation, as in HG, PG, paramotoring, powered HG and paratrikes are.

Microlighting can be for the young if more use is made of syndication. 5k X-Air, 5 shares, 1k each. Same share of expenses, do-able. This is a lower cost for equipment than the two young people I know who've recently qualified as PG pilots have paid out.

For two years I helped run a syndicate started by a member of this forum who donated a microlight which was then put through a permit. We wanted to raise the numbers of potential tug pilots.

Several people who would not have tried it did. Drop out rate was high, but there were some successes.

Whilst house prices and student loans have made significant inroads into disposable incomes, you do see young people with nice cars and motorbikes. If anything free time might be more of an issue.

I'd caution the sport against painting itself into a corner over its own demographic.

Senior Member 500 Club

MF Foundation donations

I think it already has. Syndicating and flying old machines is for the very few. There is a clear generation gap between the fifty somethings who do fly and the teenagers who may potentially want to. Those syndicate members each had to learn to fly.

Senior Member 500 Club

MF Foundation donations

The Bursary has already paid an AFI's test fees. This year it has also pledged a sum towards an instructor course for a young chap.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast