Thread: Nice Wheels!

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Nice Wheels!

Nylites are still in use and I've not seen them for sale for a while, however thse are available in 4", 5" and 6" sizes, in glass reinforced Nylon and Alloy all with ball wheel bearing inside

http://www.azusaparts.com/Category.aspx?catID=2&subCatID=4&ssCatID=66

http://www.azusaparts.com/Category.aspx?catID=2&subCatID=5&ssCatID=57

Because the grass cutting at my field is a little 'agricultural', may want to boost to 6" wheels to have better spat/grass clearance and so on, anyone used these or know of their suitability?

Cheese

Kev

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Nice Wheels!

Kev,

My minimax has 6" Azusa wheels as standard. I've got the plastic ones, but many people have replaced them with the alloy ones. They look good, and I've bought a pair of the alloy ones to fit on my plane, but I haven't got round to fitting them yet. It's one of those jobs that I keep thinking I'll do during the winter, but I know that I won't because it's too cold and wet and windy to be lying around on a muddy field changing wheels.

Best regards,

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Nice Wheels!

For what it is worth, one of our ex club members had a set of nylites fitted to his Challenger a while ago, but had to change them because the hubs "melted" due to the heat generated when he applied his brakes.. but I do not know for how long, or how violently, he had braked to cause it.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Nice Wheels!

Wally,

John Hamer, who is the guru for all things minimax in this country, told me that most people change the plastic wheels for the alloy ones because the plastic ones have been known to crack or split on heavy landings. Mind you, the minimax doesn't have proper wheel bearings. Instead it's got oil impregnated bronze bushes that sit directly on the 1" steel axle. These have to be taken off and greased every 10 hours or so, and I don't know when mine were last done. I do however know that the tail wheel, which has the same bearing arrangement as the front wheels, was dry when I got the plane, and I recently regreased it. So the front ones probably need doing as well.

I might as well change them for the alloy ones when I do that, but I've got to get hold of some bushes for the extended bolts that hold the brake drum in place, as the alloy wheels are narrower than the plastic ones at the bit that the brake drum attaches to, and to keep it all aligned with the brake bands I need to fit longer bolts and bushes so that the drum can stand off from the sides of the wheels and be in the same position as they are now.

See the pictures I've attached to this post so that you can see the general idea with the brake drum and external band.

Nothing's ever simple is it?

Best regards,

Attached files

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Nice Wheels!

Kev,

The 6" alloy wheels I've got have tyres and tubes already fitted, and the weight of each wheel is 5lbs. So if you do decide to go that route then weigh the old wheels and the new ones to see how much of a weight penalty there is. Mind you, the strength of the alloy ones would be well worth the extra weight, and they look much better too! Not to mention that they won't suffer from UV damage like the Nylite ones do.

Best regards,