Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Retractable, different from the Dragonfly

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Retractable, different from the Dragonfly

Natty manual retract here, no good for mine as too far to reach...;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NusHALUWMEQ

Flylight use Aeros wings, this looks like their own trike, wonder if they pinched the idea from Flylight's Dragonfly?

Cheers

They bought one over to show us a couple of weeks back. It's designed for the more hangy wings rather than chaser, but is a high quality engineered product and a very good price. As the UK aeros dealers we can sell them too...!

Paul

I do wonder about the drag saving if you turn the wheel until it is flat-on to the airflow. My Dragonfly has no fairings and I've always thought that retracting the gear would give little benefit.

Of course its primarily for folding for packing up, but a bit of fun on the air and looks cool! The ANT has a fabric fairing / bag for the wheels to tuck in behind and fair them in, so should be some drag saving too. On the dragonfly the wheels tuck up I side the Glassfibre fairing, and on the basic one without fairings a proportion of the wheel tucks in behind the seat back.

Paul

This is the trike I fancy...

http://www.trike.com.br/mini.asp

...especially with one of their topless floater wings.

By eck, just looked at that link - its a complete rip off of a dragonfly! Same detail structure for the seat and forward fairing, main gear legs and drag links, even the overthrow bracket on the monopole etc etc, Have they no shame!

Paul

Can you pursue them or does the fact that they are in South America make them untouchable?

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Certainly looks that way .. even the angle of the seat is (as far as I can measure from their photo) is identical.

As has been said before, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ...

Mike

We have spawned more than a few clones, and a few more that are heavily 'inspired'. Nothing you can do about it really - just smile and take the 'flattery view' that Mike pints out.

Result is that the soaring trike market world wide now has rather a surfeit of similar product and our export sales have reduced considerably. Soaring trikes being a niche within a niche does mean taking a smaller slice of the smallish pie means very few sales, and differentiation is now by small details and largely influenced by local prices and supply. And the soaring trike market has little potential for much revolution left - especially as price is a big constraint.

Currently we are exploring other areas, such as the fox cub, with less of a purest soaring slant and accent on ease of use/ownership. And we are also working on the other end - more traditional mainstream microlight cruise performance in a stylish but affordable package - the Dragon Chaser.

We want to do a three axis SSDR, but rather ironically making the most out of UK 300kg means exports would be difficult - its much easier to sell sub 115 to fit FAR103, and its world wide local variations. Leaving us in a bit of a dilemma what direction to go in - and whether we can do something that specs to fit both - without the light model being too obviously trimmed back.

As long we can have fun playing with developing small planes and pay the bills we will be happy - but that modest task alone is quite a challenge!

Paul

Diamond geezer 500 Club

I have the impression that FAR103 three-axis is a not very satisfactory market niche, unless you live in a land of light winds and light regulation.

How about taking a different approach/target: an SSDR aircraft that maximizes the opportunities to fly in UK weather (i.e., can be rigged (as necessary) and flown in our typically gusty weather, and not just in summer evenings and mornings)?

Mike

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast