Thread: Main undercarriage

Junior Member I'm new!

Main undercarriage

At this time what are the available options for the Shadow main gear, or for example is there drawing for the aluminium one design by David?
    I am able to machine one, I already made several for my friends Flying flea and for my Viking Dragonfly.

Hoping that " Designer " read this

Also interesseted by composite ones.

Thanks, Philippe

Senior Member 500 Club
    Philippe,

This is just an opinion but I would look at replacing the fyglass extrusions with suitably turned and designed alloy rods in the original undercarriage.

The older system was not that far away from working and required an amount of clumsiness ( bad landing) for it to fail and was only highlighted by the justifiable concerns that the fuel tank got in the way and it was only a matter of time before someone was fried.

With careful design on the machining you should aim for a little bit less pliable than you have to steady the ship when on the ground but it does not need to be as strong as the replacements which just move the load up into the rest of the structure and there has been no failures that I am aware of .

Junior Member I'm new!
    Mick

Thanks for your good advices, fortunatly you are there to answer my newbie querries, I am waiting for your drawings regarding nose leg reinforcement.

Senior Member 500 Club
    Hopeefully in France sometime in early January if you want and I am near do you want the drawings and update
    Mick
    Mick Broom
    Member 909
    Shadow G-MWTN

Junior Member I'm new!
    Of course Mick! I will be please to meet you and if you have time we can have a lunch at the Motel, there is a new owner and I heard that the food is good at new.
    Let set the rendez vous at the Abbeville air club, just call me or e-mail me two days before.
    My phone number +33608276748 leave a message if I don't answer.
    My mail philas2@free.fr
    I will show you my grounded Shadow!!

Senior Member 500 Club
    That will piss ( not please) the wife off , not more aeroplanes ;-)

No promises as I have no idea what's happening but will try, and look forward to it
    Mick Broom
    Member 909
    Shadow G-MWTN

Senior Member 500 Club
    Hi Philippe,
    It looks like I am catching the boat to Calais on the 2 January so maybe stop somewhere and meet up on the 3rd at the airfield mid morning ?
    If you bring a computer I can give you some DXF files if I can find them.

Most Shadow people have seen the video below which was to look at airflow but does show what the front wheel is up to, you may find it useful and it shows why the front wheel is sometimes not straight when you land.

The second one is in competition and cannot be achieved with standard parts or pilot and is included for interest only but does show that you can lift the front wheel in millimetres. It does come with a warning of don't try this without practice or inside knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3g25doU3vg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qIvNEJwyp8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwQ9cMEwmzA
    Mick Broom
    Member 909
    Shadow G-MWTN

Junior Member I'm new!
    Hi Mick

I just read your message, mid morning the third it's OK for me, the airfield restaurant will be close so early in the year after the fests but I can manage something else
    The first video is very interesting and the music perfect !!!!!
    Very impressed by the short landings.
    See you soon Mick