Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BMAA Freedom Rally at Enstone 2018

Do you realise that at that time of year you may have to consume vast amounts of wine or beer so as not to dry up and blow away.

Senior Member 500 Club
    What has the time of year to do with it ;-))))
    Nice Portuguese Red 80P a bottle if you know where. Shusssssss :
    Mick Broom
    Member 909
    Shadow G-MWTN

Member Settling in
    re thread title: a month to go.
    Anything interesting expected there?
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    One-to-one ground school, ground exams , and certificates of experience. PM me for details.

Senior Member 100 Club
    I believe there are a few new things to see Joan. Take a look at the aircraft attending on the SSDR page of the BMAA website.

I would like to get a discussion going about practical, real world, electric power for SSDRs, as I am sure that it is the future for Microlighting. I am putting together a presentation on converting my Shadow, which is an ideal testbed. It will detail the motor, controller, batteries etc, and the advantages and practicalities of going electric. By removing the engine, the ancillaries, the fuel tanks and the fuel I can save about 80kg. This goes a long way to helping accomodate the weight of the batteries. With an all up weight of 300kg to play with and with the pilot stripped down to boxer shorts, (I trust that you have some?), a decent endurance is possible. I will be going into all of this in detail to encourage others to consider the change.

I know that others must be thinking along these lines, so is there anyone else that can be pursuaded to share their knowledge? I am sure that if we ask nicely we can use the presentation facilities in the clubhouse since they will already be on hand for the official talks. It would also be useful to carry on the discussion next to the actual aeroplanes being considered for conversion. I will have my Shadow available.

I will also ask Ben Syson to fill us in on the work being done on the design code, Section S, to accomodate electric power.

Come on! Let's make this a significant date in the development of electric power for microlighting. A recognition of the fact that we are on the cusp of a revolution that will lead to a quantum leap in reliabilty, durability, reduced maintenance and running costs, and to a new sustainable, quieter and environmentally friendly form of flying.

Member Settling in
    Ooh, that looks interesting! (and some IET CPD time, perhaps )

Hope to see you there - fingers crossed that this lovely weather holds out.
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    One-to-one ground school, ground exams , and certificates of experience. PM me for details.

Senior Member 100 Club
    IET, CPD time? Sorry Joan you lost me there. In aviation there are too many TLAs (three letter acronyms).

Member Settling in
    Sorry - overly cryptic. PM sent.

Senior Member 100 Club
    Anyone interested?

Senior Member 500 Club
    Sorry that though I am interested & usually enjoy it & do fly in, before this week-end I'm off across the Channel for a few days.

mike hallam

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Well,

It was a bit windy, and thermic, and I guess that's why not many people turned up today. By not many I mean around 30 - 40 planes. There were some old ones (like mine, and even older ones such as a pterodactyl!), some new ones, such as a couple of SD1 minisports, a Merlin, and an Elf, some borrowed ones, such as Bill's flying bike, which I think he borrowed from Heath Robinson!, and some blue ones, like the metallic blue and yellow Minimax. So a good marriage of all types and ages of planes. Just a shame there weren't more of them!! So if you were thinking of coming but got put off by the airspace restrictions or the heat or the thermals, it wasn't that bad, and those of us who did go got to hear all about the amazing 60% Hurricane a bloke made and flew from Stoke. Excellent stuff, and I believe Adrian Jones then had a good discussion about electric powered planes. I was outside by then as it was very hot in the club house. Oh, the bacon rolls were good, and so was the coffee, not to mention the home made Dundee cake. Actually I won't mention that as I might want to go back for seconds! :-)

It was good to see Ginge and Joan there, particularly as Joan revalidated my licence for me (Thank you very much for doing that Joan! I really do appreciate you taking time out from your day's excursion to count up the hours in my log book) and Ginge and I discussed the finer points of the 503 vs 462 performance and reliability issues.

I also got to meet someone who's name has escaped me already, although his surname was unpronounceable, but who like me has a Minimax, and we were able to compare notes on these wonderful little aircraft.

So all in all a good one, and I look forward to going there again next year. I'll just have to decide whether I should I fly the Spectrum again, or perhaps the Minimax? Hmmm, decisions, decisions! :-)
    XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast