Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new CAA guidance about lost, stolen etc log books

Sat in an examiners meeting at Deddington talking about thus with CAA rep. BMAA will seek approval form CAA to do the interview procedure for members

Thats good to hear Paul and sensible.
    I asked the question to the BMAA as the CAA quote a UK Approved Examiner can verify documents. In the past I have had a difference of opinion from the CAA when some of the lads applied for a radio licence, I hold the R rating so signed, but one person in the CAA at that time questioned it, so a different examiner was sought. So I asked the question and got this reply, which if feel is correct and a sensible approach by the BMAA from Aaron.
    I pointed out that I have started to take photographs of the page with the new C of E Cert in the log book in case of loss.

It clearly states 'UK-Approved Examiner' as one of the people who is allowed to certify documents. If your examiner authority is current, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to certify documents.

Taking pictures of the logbook C of Es sounds eminently sensible. Going through likely scenarios of candidates losing logbooks, the only time the new process would absolutely have to be followed would be if a pilot needs hours to claim to become an instructor of some kind. Otherwise, if a student loses a logbook, the school's student records could be used to recreate it. If a PPL pilot loses a logbook in between keeping a rating current, but you have a picture of the last rating revalidation (and they still have their licence), a logbook can just be started from scratch, ignoring previous hours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12