Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new CAA guidance about lost, stolen etc log books

Senior Member 100 Club

new CAA guidance about lost, stolen etc log books

YIKES!

Just been informed of this policy change by CAA via the BWPA.

Pilot Logbooks - Loss, Damage, Corruption or Theft

With immediate effect, the CAA will no longer accept the submission of a sworn affidavit as the primary means of accepting hours for the grant of a licence, rating, certificate or the revalidation and extension/or removal of restriction of privileges where an individual is unable to provide logbook evidence of their required hours due to loss, damage, theft or data corruption.

Further information on the CAA's website:

https://tinyurl.com/ycqr3ce9

Take care of your documents guys!
    Last edited by Joan Walsh; 21st January 2018 at 18:33. Reason: Fixed bad URL
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    GR examiner and TST pilot.
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Senior Member 100 Club
    Think I'll be taking photos of log book pages in case of loss in the future.

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    I just wonder if this relates purely to Commercial licences?
    It is under folder ..Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences......

Senior Member 100 Club
    Very good point Wally; so I just checked.

Unfortunately they have the same under General Aviation which as far as they're concerned is what we come under. See https://tinyurl.com/ya93hfgy
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    GR examiner and TST pilot.
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan Walsh View Post
    Very good point Wally; so I just checked.

Unfortunately they have the same under General Aviation which as far as they're concerned is what we come under. See https://tinyurl.com/ya93hfgy

Guess that would mean 200 PLUS 2 return airfares from Aberdeen to Gatwick and probably 2 overnight stays because times simply will not add up.... cheaper to give the aircraft away and go back to knitting:-(

I wonder if the BMAA could do the interiews if necessary. What would happen in the scenario that you have taken a copy of your logbook just in case, the worse happens and its lost or stolen. In that case could you not get a new logbook and present to your examiner??
    I must admit I have now starting taking photos of the stamp in the logbook, I signed two this morning as it happens and have kept a photographic record. If they lost their logbook say tomorrow, surely they would not need to go through the CAA interview being that its been signed by an examiner who could verify the photo and it also shows that they are current.
    I bet if you speak to anyone in the CAA they would not know the answer themselves. I have had severl conflicting bits of advice in the past.

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai Power View Post
    I wonder if the BMAA could do the interiews if necessary. What would happen in the scenario that you have taken a copy of your logbook just in case, the worse happens and its lost or stolen. In that case could you not get a new logbook and present to your examiner??
    I must admit I have now starting taking photos of the stamp in the logbook, I signed two this morning as it happens and have kept a photographic record. If they lost their logbook say tomorrow, surely they would not need to go through the CAA interview being that its been signed by an examiner who could verify the photo and it also shows that they are current.
    I bet if you speak to anyone in the CAA they would not know the answer themselves. I have had severl conflicting bits of advice in the past.
    I would suggest you do noy hold out much hope forthe BMAA to assist.... a week and NO ONE from the BMAA has bothered to confirm, or otherwise that this has already been imposed.

I'm afraid the situation is set out here Wally in this CAA newsletter

Categories: Commercial pilot aeroplane, Commercial pilot helicopter, Private pilot aeroplane, Private pilot helicopter, Flight training commercial, Flight training private
    Pilot logbooks - loss, damage, corruption or theft

With immediate effect, the CAA will no longer accept the submission of a sworn affidavit as the primary means of accepting hours for the grant of a licence, rating, certificate or the revalidation and extension/or removal of restriction of privileges where an individual is unable to provide logbook evidence of their required hours due to loss, damage, theft or data corruption.

Individuals in such a position are required to follow the process stated in the General aviation and Commercial industry sections on our website.

SW2018/008

With links to
    http://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviatio...documentation/
    &
    http://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-indu...ation/Guidance

It doesn't seem to leave much room for manoeuvre

Administrator AdminSettling in
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Hayward View Post
    I would suggest you do noy hold out much hope forthe BMAA to assist.... a week and NO ONE from the BMAA has bothered to confirm, or otherwise that this has already been imposed.
    Hi Wally
    I don't think the BMAA was asked to confirm anything. Joan very kindly pointed us all towards a new CAA policy which seems fairly self explanatory. However Dai raises an interesting point and I will raise this with Geoff ASAP. I will post anything of interest back here. It would be a useful service we could perhaps offer to members
    Andy Aiken
    BMAA 5417

G-CITG

Andy,
    I await the reply, hopefully Geoff will be able to sort something out.
    Dai

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast