Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 61hp Liquid Cooled EFI engine

Diamond geezer 500 Club

61hp Liquid Cooled EFI engine

Just short of three grand including VAT with all the bought-in bits

Eight Valve OHC EFI 80 V-Twin, liquid cooled

Been a bit of a faff sourcing all the different niggly bits (such as 25mm to 19mm silicone radiator hose bends) but almost ready to run

Makers claimed figure is 61hp and weighed bare motor at 43-46kilos before adding radiator, exhaust and adaptor brackets to suit my Ace Trike

Bear in mind you'd have exactly the same work to do to install a 582.

Wish me luck

Kevin A

PS sorry to invade general chat but the SSDR section doesn't work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    G-KEVA
    BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Senior Member 500 Club
    Fifty Kilos for sixty HorsePower and all the trimmings. Looks like a great engine for an S6!

Senior Member 100 Club
    Nice, tidy installation. I hope this motor serves you better than the B&S did.
    Pete T.

"A closed mouth gathers no feet".

When is big switch on day ??

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    B&S did pretty well, if I'd reinforced the cam with a steel rod down the middle, or bought the slightly dearer billet version as the Americans make at Precision Cams, it would be flying today without a single core failure - but then again it did need to be more pokey to fly the Cyclone wing properly. Got the welding and other grubby stuff to do now and the injection plumbing, which Allan Gilruth has been a massive help and advisor on.
    G-KEVA
    BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Twissell View Post
    Nice, tidy installation. I hope this motor serves you better than the B&S did.
    To be fair, it was bulletproof until the hollow iron camshaft snapped, they stick an 11mm steel bar down the middle in the USA, found out too late...I'd fly another if doing it again and recommend it as ideal for an SSDR or Minimax etc
    G-KEVA
    BMAA 5696

Senior Member 100 Club
    Do you know how many hours any of the B&S engines have done in the states?
    It's good to see that someone is doing this experimental work with alternative engines.
    Pete T.

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    The B&S engine was stripped at around 100+ hours and showed zero signs of wear or premature deterioration, everything was immaculate, oil clean and free of metal particles etc. I did find the keyway on the cam drive gear had fretted a little under the increased strain of packed valve springs and high lift rockers, so reassembled using a high temperature grade of Loctite Bearing Retainer, grade 622 IIRC

The only real niggles were casing oil weeps, manageable but related to revs, if you run the thing below 4000rpm cruise the power-pulses stress the casing because of the reduction plate, adding top fixings as Parazoom do would cure that. Run above 4000-4500, as you can see on the Channel crossing video and the leaks don't appear as all becomes smooth above that even though i didn't bother balancing the crank. If you persist in labouring against a coarse prop at say, 3600rpm then the casing bolts need lock wiring as this is harmful and risks bolts working loose.

The cam finally broke under the stress at 120+ hours, i rebuilt using a second hand Solo casing (thanks Brian) and popped an 11mm diameter high tensile bar down the camshaft middle, as Precision Cams already do in the USA (found that tip off too late). Reckon these engines are good for reasonably long life, certainly don't require decoking at all or stripping like the two strokes do, but need propeller to be set correctly to avoid hammering it like a car vibrating in permanent high gear. Do allow expansion room on the exhaust tubes, silencer requirement is way lighter and simpler. Carb ice needs watching but a little judicious ducting or diversion of air off the cooling cowl sorts that.

New injection engine first run here, the clattering noise is fixed, caused by undersized bolt design on propeller hub, now increased

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoDUe9ubp7A

Cheers

Kev A
    G-KEVA
    BMAA 5696

Senior Member 100 Club
    Thanks for the comprehensive account.
    Interesting to hear about the low frequency vibration issue. If the cases were flexing sufficiently to cause oil leaks and loss of bolt preload, it is conceivable that the same distortion at the cam bearing locations contributed to the cam failure.
    I'll have a look at the video when I get home and out of the clutches of our corporate preventer of information technology. (youtube is blocked at work)
    Pete T.

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Kev,

You know in your first post above you said the SSDR section wasn't working? That's because it's now split into two. There's the 'Deregulation' section and further down the 'SSDR and Experimental Microlights' section. So look down the list of sections till you've gone past 'BMAA Members Only', and 'Aircraft Specific Forums' till you find 'Deregulation'.

Under Deregulation you'll find several sub sections, including General, Construction / Weight shift, Construction / Aerodynamic control or 3 axis, Aspects of power, and Testing before Flight.

Further down again below the 4 stroke and 2 stroke Engines sections you'll come to the 'SSDR and Experimental Microlights' section. Here there are sub sections for General, Construction / Weight shift, Construction / Aerodynamic control or 3 axis, Construction / Powered Parachute types, Aspects of power, and Testing before Flight.

I wonder if your information about the ATV engine should really go in the 'Other 4 Stroke Engines' section? Though I admit it's probably going to get more hits in the current section as I doubt if many people go scrolling down to the engines sections to see if there's anything new.
    XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast