Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 61hp Liquid Cooled EFI engine

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    140 kilos static pull, not the best but as it has an undersized propeller (60") this isn't bad for a tight, new motor and a guess at the right reduction ratio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLKEXRapjfY&t=12s

Main observations:

1) SkyRich LifePo4 batteries are unbelievable, light at 0.9 kilos and massive kick for starting

2) Fuel Injection means instant starting, but a lot of sensors to go tech, having said that cars last reasonably well without bother

3) The exhaust is too short as room wasn't available, may produce more grunt with longer tubes, (and a 2-3" bigger prop)

Kev
    G-KEVA
    BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Senior Member 500 Club
    And the final installation weight ?
    Mick Broom
    Member 909
    Shadow G-MWTN

Senior Member 100 Club
    I was going to put a Lithium battery on my Shadow Kevin but then I came across some advice, on I think the California Power Systems website. It said that because a 503 only has 2 poles in the generator, the output, even after being rectified and regulated, is very peaky. This apparently is not good for lithium batteries as it leads to heat being generated in the cells, which damages them over a relatively short time. You might want to check the output from your generator.

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    I believe most of the "problems" with Lithium batteries and Rotax generators stems from the earlier "points" type and the earlier "regulator" used by Rotax
    Evidence around points out that the Key West regulator is ok for use with Lithium
    Lots of useful info on the Earth-X site.

https://earthxbatteries.com/product-...ental-aircraft

I fitted a "Cheapie" Motorcycle LiFepo4 battery to my Shadow (SSDR) (Rotax 503 DCDI) with a Ket West regulator and it was perfectly ok for over 3 years or so before I sold it.

Senior Member 100 Club
    Thank you for that Wally. That is where I saw the info, on the EarthX website. I don't remember them talking about the Keywest Regulator, so that is good to know. I might go for a lithium battery after all then.

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Adrian
    The Key West info was basically that gleaned from other users, from memory from mostly the US Homebuilt Aircraft Forum
    Useful info on sizing etc on the aerolithium site
    http://www.aerolithium.com/faqs/

Only downside to the Lithium I found, was that in freezing temperatures......a "normal day" here in Scotland:-)... first start of the day, it would not usually turn past first compression..... battery needed to "wake up".... "half a second or so" push on the button and wait a further "half second" always "got it's juces flowing" and it would then turn the engine over normally.. "forever!"

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    [QUOTE=Bob Hood;129449]Kev,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLKEXRapjfY
    G-KEVA
    BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Senior Member 500 Club
    The lithium I put on my 447 lasted an hour before destroying itself and most of the aircraft's electrics.
    100 ill spent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12