Thread: SSDR Specification - Save me some of my dwindling life force.

SSDR Specification - Save me some of my dwindling life force.

Dear all,

I've read a couple of varying (by terminology) specifications regarding the SSDR criteria and depending on your state of mind at the time differing maximums are outcome!

So could someone (save my life force) and give me a simple explanation of the SSDR rule:-

...for example does the 300 kg refer to Max weight 'dry'/'wet', with/without pilot etc?

Not even asking re the stall speed limits!!!

Regards
    Paul W

Senior Member 100 Club
    Hi
    Try https://www.bmaa.org/files/til_045_ssdr_handbook.pdf

I think it answers your questions.

If not come back on here and we can all have some fun trying.

Joan

PS. I found the CAA's explanation embedded within this page: http://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviatio...t/Microlights/
    Last edited by Joan Walsh; 28th January 2018 at 10:13. Reason: PS
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    GR examiner and TST pilot.

Just read the bmaa stuff and it says

Separate log books must be kept for the airframe, each engine, and each variable pitch propeller

So I am planning a single seat Mosquito bomber microlight with 2 engines and VP props

Thanks to the above - had already read the links but once again explicit language is not in the gift of either organisation - or I must be 'thick' or something?

Simple question:-

Is the SSDR 300 KG limit the maximum weight allowed at take off including fuel and pilot (I think so but would like confirmation)?

Regards
    Paul W

Administrator AdminSettling in
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wilkinson View Post
    Thanks to the above - had already read the links but once again explicit language is not in the gift of either organisation - or I must be 'thick' or something?

Simple question:-

Is the SSDR 300 KG limit the maximum weight allowed at take off including fuel and pilot (I think so but would like confirmation)?

Regards
    Paul W
    Hi Paul

SSDR MTOW (this includes everything on or in the aeroplane) is 300kg for a landpland, 315kg for a landplane with airframe mounted chute, 330kg for a seaplane however the caveats in the para below taken from Til 045 may well reduce the MTOW.

Maximum take-off weight Although there is a legal limit (of 300, 315 or 330 kg) for the maximum take-off weight of a single-seat Microlight, be aware that this is very much an upper limit. The maximum take -off weight specified by the designer should be respected. If the designer's stated maximum take-off weight is exceeded, structural safety margins may be reduced below those intended by the designer, and the aircraft’s handling may be adversely affected. Some aeroplanes might require their maximum take -off weight to be reduced – below the Microlight upper limit and the designer’s value – in order to meet the Microlight stall speed requirement

Andy
    Andy Aiken
    BMAA 5417

G-CITG

Thank you Andy,
    Think I've got it!
    Paul