Thread: Aircraft valuation

Aircraft valuation

Hi, I can probably guess the answer to this, how can I work out if I am getting value for money?

The Skyrangers', Rans S6's and Sherwood ranger's etc. are all around 40k new but are they really worth 20k after 15 - 20 years.

Obviously it depends on condition and spec. a 912 engine is always worth more than a Jaba 2.2 in my opinion. But how do I put a price on a 18 year old Skyranger with old skins and 800 hours on it? Going by Afors its still worth 20k.. Really?? If I should take the plunge and buy it how much longer realistically, is it going to last before I start shelling out another 5k for new skins or 15k for a new engine!

I suppose what I am asking is, is it worth it?

Any comments welcome

Bryan
    Bryan

Senior Member 500 Club
    Probably not at that price. A decent S6 is between 9 and12 (asked!) with a young 2 stroke.
    A ranger is a different sort of thing entirely.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, it depends on the individual aircraft and how well, or otherwise it has been looked after.

For instance, old skins, have they been exposed the much UV? have they suffered from chafing or hagar rash. All skins can last a long time, even Dacron ones, if appropriate care has been taken. A badly maintained engine of any ilk is junk if badly looked after, a log book is a good guide to how things have been done. This should include airframe and undercarriage checks and maintainace (check to POH and TADS) as required as well as any SBs and MPDs all carried out, again a well kept log book is your friend. Remember that fakery in a log book is fraud.

Once I almost made a classic mistake of looking at the aircraft before the logs books. The aircraft was a beauty to look at and I wanted to recomend it, then I looked at the books. The things I found , and certainly my inspector would have found would have cost a lot to bring up to spec, as they say I learnt from that.

Value for money will depend on how much you need to spend on a machine to get it to a standard that both you and your inspector are happy with.

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Plunkett View Post
    The Skyrangers', Rans S6's and Sherwood ranger's etc. are all around 40k new but are they really worth 20k after 15 - 20 years.

Obviously it depends on condition and spec. a 912 engine is always worth more than a Jaba 2.2 in my opinion. But how do I put a price on a 18 year old Skyranger with old skins and 800 hours on it? Going by Afors its still worth 20k.. Really?? If I should take the plunge and buy it how much longer realistically, is it going to last before I start shelling out another 5k for new skins or 15k for a new engine!
    I know nothing about Rans S6s or Sherwood Rangers.

Skyrangers can have Dacron or X-Lam skins. The latter last longer. A lot of older Skyrangers have been re-skinned with X-Lam.

If you're good with Jabs, then you wouldn't listen to me, I know enough to know I'm not clever enough to look after a Jab. Jab Skyrangers command a lower price than 912 powered ones. The 912 is good for a lot of hours if properly looked after. Check the log book, as Ginge says.

Elephant in the room, support, with the Skyranger you have Flylight with Paul Dewhurst. 'Nuff said.

Senior Member 100 Club
    Other elephant, depreciation during your own ownership - how many hours and flight cycles (take-offs and landings) do you realistically expect to do in your aircraft over the next 5-10 years? How is it going to be stored? How well do you honestly expect to maintain it?

It's a bit the same as buying an 18 year old used car really.
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    GR examiner and TST pilot.
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Thanks all, yes I agree with everything said. I am finding that, either the engine hours are questionable, the skins are on their last legs or both! The current owners do not take into account that the new owner is going to have to fork out another 5K upwards on new skins or the engine, after a year or two.

I think it may be more economical to wait until a newer model comes on the market and add the 5k to my budget. (Anyone got a newish Skyranger for sale?)

Bryan
    Bryan

Senior Member 500 Club
    That goes with the territory. There is no such thing as a cheap aeroplane. Consider the money as spent and burn the receipts. You will always have your hand in your pocket. Only buy if you are prepared for that and consider your annual hours. You might be much better off renting. I would be but am prepared to pay handsomely to have my own aircraft. My SsDR costs around £200 an hour and around six ground hours per sky hour. If value for money is important to you, rent.

The 800 engine hours could well be correct, it's not unusual to have an old engine with low hours, around 45 hours a year as your plane appears to portray can be many peoples yearly average. The engine could be worked upon by yourself for little cost in the form of a service which could regenerate an already proven engine with a TBO of 2000 hrs (I believe this figure is accurate)
    The skins are a different story and I would seek the advice of Paul Dewhurst but I personally wouldn't rule a plane until I've explored all avenues.

Pretty much all Skyrangers sold for the last 12 years have had Xlam. Any left in Dacron will be old and likely to need replacing before long - unless it’s lowush hours and has been stored covered or in a very dark place.

Usually the colour will be a good indication - if it’s faded then it’s had a fair dose if UV and used up a significant portion of its life.

Engine - 912 goes on and on and there are engines that have 5000 hours on them with no major issues. 80 hours 912 has Better longevity than the early 912 ULS engine’s. Later ULS ( last five years) with large starter, slipper clutch and soft start are better. 800 hours should be small beer for any 912 model.

Condition and provenance are key for any older aeroplane. Look hard at the plane and the logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dewhurst View Post
    Pretty much all Skyrangers sold for the last 12 years have had Xlam. Any left in Dacron will be old and likely to need replacing before long - unless it’s lowush hours and has been stored covered or in a very dark place.

Usually the colour will be a good indication - if it’s faded then it’s had a fair dose if UV and used up a significant portion of its life.

Engine - 912 goes on and on and there are engines that have 5000 hours on them with no major issues. 80 hours 912 has Better longevity than the early 912 ULS engine’s. Later ULS ( last five years) with large starter, slipper clutch and soft start are better. 800 hours should be small beer for any 912 model.

Condition and provenance are key for any older aeroplane. Look hard at the plane and the logs.
    Thanks Paul, I have now bought one which is in pretty good shape for it's age. Full history and luckily it was still with it's original owner / builder!
    It will need new skins at some stage in the future but he was decent enough to partially allow for it in his asking price.

Regards
    Bryan
    Bryan