Thread: 3 axis microlight hours for LAPL validation?

3 axis microlight hours for LAPL validation?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this but I was hoping someone may have heard more about this? I'm curre rly deciding which license to pursue, nppl(M) or LAPL(A). Realistically microlights are what I'm going to be able to afford to fly more than the minimum maintenance hours, but I'm thinking that if I get LAPL to start with, it'll be easier to upgrade on the future if I'm able to. The ideal plan for me would be to do LAPL then a microlight conversion/differences and fly 3 axis microlights

Problem there is that currently, microlight hours do not count towards LAPL validation, but I've been told that this is going to change? Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Last edited by Harry Marshall; 2nd January 2019 at 14:01.

Senior Member 100 Club
    If I understand correctly, to maintain an LAPL you would need to keep up hours on non-microlight aircraft. If your plan is to fly microlights, then maintaining hours on non-microlight aircraft in addition to your microlight flying makes for an expensive way to fly, just to retain the option to 'upgrade' at a later date.
    If there is to be a change in legislation to allow microlight hours to count towards LAPL revalidation, I wouldn't bank on it just yet. Aviation legislation does not move quickly.
    Pete T.

"A closed mouth gathers no feet".

Senior Member 500 Club
    No, Harry. You can't. Due to the microlight being a "non EASA"aircraft, hours flown on it cannot be used to revalidate a LAPL.
    An NPPL(M) allows a few privileges that the big boys don't automatically get.. We can fly in France by agreement with the French equivalent of the BMAA for example. AN LAPL requires a medical examination. We don't.

Quote Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
    No, Harry. You can't. Due to the microlight being a "non EASA"aircraft, hours flown on it cannot be used to revalidate a LAPL.
    An NPPL(M) allows a few privileges that the big boys don't automatically get.. We can fly in France by agreement with the French equivalent of the BMAA for example. AN LAPL requires a medical examination. We don't.
    Thanks, I thought this was the case, but it was mentioned on Private Pilot group on facebook that it was "soon to change". Couldn't find anything though, so thought it worth asking here.