Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use it or lose it...

Senior Member 100 Club

Use it or lose it...

Just browsing recent abridged council meeting minutes on the BMAA members-only bit. I noticed the following comment in the recent January meeting:
    "6.9. RH Facebook. Going well. BMAA Forum, quite [sic] may not continue after this Autumn when renewal cost falls due."

At least the privately-run http://microlightforum.com/ is still trundling along nicely.
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    GR examiner and TST pilot.
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

At least from my point of view that would be a shame. However if that is the decision I hope that we are given enough notice to say by by before fading into the background.

Senior Member 500 Club
    If this happens, how could a backup archive be taken for reference? there is a lot of useful stuff here.

Senior Member 100 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
    If this happens, how could a backup archive be taken for reference? there is a lot of useful stuff here.
    I think that might take a bit of lobbying from the general membership because my reading of the note in the council minutes is that the possible close-down is simply due to the money cost of maintaining the database.

I did look at https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://forums.bmaa.org/ but it doesn't seem to penetrate deep enough to record all posts.

I think most have migrated to Vince's forum which he started years ago when I was trying to persuade BMAA to close down this forum's predecessor because it was, in my view at the time, giving our sport a bad reputation. A combination of a long break in service and alternative chat locations (sorry, "social meeja") becoming available have led to this forum being a bit of a ghost town with just the occasional tussock of tumble weed blowing through.

If enough members shout loudly enough (Geoff Hill does enjoy a bit of polite controversy in his letters pages) maybe this forum'll be kept on.

Senior Member 500 Club
    Could the database not be recorded onto a few DVDs and made available for a fee?

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan Walsh View Post
    Just browsing recent abridged council meeting minutes on the BMAA members-only bit. I noticed the following comment in the recent January meeting:
    "6.9. RH Facebook. Going well. BMAA Forum, quite [sic] may not continue after this Autumn when renewal cost falls due."

At least the privately-run http://microlightforum.com/ is still trundling along nicely.
    Be interesting to find out what they regard as sufficient traffic.

Problem is, Facebook is chaotic, vitriolic, and not much good for casual browsing.

The collapsed tree type reply system makes things less easy to follow and after a screen of stuff we therefore get back into repetition.

The only thing is it can be easier to enforce real names.

A recent FB posting by Geoff Weighell...
    " There are no plans to scrap the forum.
    As long as it gets used and there are members happy to moderate I don't see why it shouldn't stay"

Senior Member 100 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Morton View Post
    A recent FB posting by Geoff Weighell...
    " There are no plans to scrap the forum.
    As long as it gets used and there are members happy to moderate I don't see why it shouldn't stay"
    and he announces it on Facebook but not here

Of course, some of the users on here (eg. me) don't 'do' Facebook, so my thanks Dave for passing the message over.

How much do we have to use it to qualify for it being kept?
    Who moderates it at the moment?

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    and he announces it on Facebook but not here
    Humpff
    There's clearly a message there...
    Martin Watson
    Microlights in Norfolk
    Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
    07805 716407

Of course, some of the users on here (eg. me) don't 'do' Facebook, so my thanks Dave for passing the message over.
    Maybe we need a "Me Too" type message, my thanks to Dave also for passing the word down to us more lowely folk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast