Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello all.

Senior Member 100 Club

Hello all.

Hello all,

Not been on here for a while. I got out for a flight on Saturday, my 3rd flight of the year. Previous 2 days were on the 2nd and 4th of January whilst I was on Christmas Holidays. Since then the weather was far from perfect, or work and family as usual conspired against me. So it was fantastic to get away and pull my lovely Quantum 503 out into the fresh still air. It started on the 3rd pull and I flew off on a 50 minute leg to Limetree Airfield. The Coffee was amazing, if only just so as to warm my hands up again. Feels great to be back. Expensive month ahead, Permit, Insurance renewal and Service.

Happy flying everyone.

Damien

PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Hi Damien
    Welcome back! Expensive time for a lot of people just now - lots of permits to be renewed as the weather improves.
    Let's hope it's a good summer!
    Martin Watson
    Microlights in Norfolk
    Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
    07805 716407

Senior Member 100 Club
    Thanks Martin,

Great to be back. Looking forward to spreading my wings again and hopefully enjoy a nice summer. Aiming for 50 hours logged in 2019, I logged 39.10 last year.
    Here's to a good summer for us all.

Damien

Good to hear from you again Damien, welcome as always.

My expense at the moment is replacing the skins on our beloved TST, our inspector when he checked them this year although they passed raised doubts that they would another year. Something to do with the sound and resistance to the needle I believe, so we bit the bullet and decided that, historically, March was the month of least flying so we have made a start. Still we shouldn't complain we've had 14yrs from this set of skins.

We're checking all the previously hidden bolts, rivets and pins while we're at it, it seemed silly not to. So it's taking a while and has had the expected effect on the weather, one of the other guys thanked us the other day for the most flying days he's had in March.

Such is life!

Senior Member 100 Club
    Hello Ginge,

Thats a pity with the skins. Although I'm sure your TST will be like a shining new penny at the end of all your work. And I am sure will be much admired when it pops into Air Strips and Flyins during the summer. I love the Thruster, especially the TST. I'm loving being a weightshift Jockey and I have no real interest at the moment in going back to 3-Axis, however the one exception would be a TST. Enjoy the re-build and I look forward to seeing the photo's of the lovely shiny new TST.

Damien

Senior Member 500 Club
    Aye. Mine has had streamlined struts, a bigger fuel tank and a new prop this winter but it flew beautifully on the test flight. Since then, the lovely weather has kept me busy elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien Minnock View Post
    Hello Ginge,

Thats a pity with the skins. Although I'm sure your TST will be like a shining new penny at the end of all your work. And I am sure will be much admired when it pops into Air Strips and Flyins during the summer. I love the Thruster, especially the TST. I'm loving being a weightshift Jockey and I have no real interest at the moment in going back to 3-Axis, however the one exception would be a TST. Enjoy the re-build and I look forward to seeing the photo's of the lovely shiny new TST.

Damien
    I was beginning to wonder how much longer the skins could last when I heard tales of other newer ones failing on other machines, so I feel that we have done pretty well.

It's great that you are enjoying your weightshift so much, you have to stick with what is right for you, I have. There have been times that I've wondered about a change, but I fly one of the modern ships and think no, this doesn't do it for me. So, stick with it there isn't any one size fits all.

I will put up so pics though when my favourite aircraft is fit to grace the skies once more.

Quote Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
    Aye. Mine has had streamlined struts, a bigger fuel tank and a new prop this winter but it flew beautifully on the test flight. Since then, the lovely weather has kept me busy elsewhere.
    Yes we have the struts and larger tank, what prop have you got now? We have an Arplast, but of course you can't get them anymore.

We changed the tank when the dreaded ethanol ate the last one, we were glad of it a year or so back when we were plugging into a much stronger the forecast headwind on our way home. It was my longest non stop flight in a TST, 2hrs 50mins engine on to engine off, the trusty 40ltr tank still had near half hours worth of reserve. That in spite of having to push hard to beat sunset up to 60kts the poor ole gal must have wondered what was going on. I learned to like that tank then, despite the harder to read fuel indication.
    Last edited by Ginge Sunley; 27th March 2019 at 09:10.

Senior Member 500 Club
    FWIW,

I have an Arplast ground adjustable three blade prop in very good nick and AFIK hardly used, should anyone wish to purchase it. (located near Crawley West Sussex).
    look me up in Pooleys or AFE Guides for e-mail under Jackrell's Farm.

Even fly in to see it ?

mikehallam.

Senior Member 500 Club
    The Minimax has gained a lot from the mods. Prop is a Newton 60x42 which is smooth and well balanced.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast